Friday, May 1, 2015

Chocolate Ghee Cream {Paleo Chocolate Butter-Cream Frosting}

So, I obviously suck at cake baking. I could refer you to the Great Father's Day Disaster of 2009 involving a horribly under-baked carrot cake, but it would be much more efficient to simply share the photos of the delicious-yet-gooey-in-the-middle vanilla birthday cake of 2015. This failure wasn't nearly as dramatic as the previous one {and no, I haven't attempted to bake a cake since 2009 before today} but I still needed to carefully dissect my creation in order to remove {and nom on} the under-cooked middle.


I made this cake to take to my godson's birthday party where there will be an assortment of pies and cakes - all of which I won't be able to eat. Therefore, this cake is essentially for me and I decided to not try baking a second, fully-cooked cake today. Someday...

I just went ahead with the frosting, and ended up with a giant chocolate filled-and-frosted vanilla doughnut. There are worse things in life.

On to this frosting though. Oh my word. I typed "paleo chocolate frosting" and stumbled upon this recipe by Elana Amsterdam. Simple, looked delish, and from a trusted source - but it used cups. I know. I'm American born and raised, yet, I hate using measuring cups. I mush prefer cooking and baking by weight. I scoured the internet a bit more, looking for a recipe that used weights... and found nothing. So I decided to just go for it.

I dumped equal weights of dark chocolate and ghee into a saucepan, melted it over low heat, then put it in the fridge to cool.

Then I forgot about it.

When I remembered it, it was solid. Rock solid. So I left it on the counter to come back to room temperature.

Then I forgot about it.

When I finally remembered that I was in the middle of frosting a vanilla-cake-with-a-huge-hole-in-the-middle, I figured that it would be a goopy mess by now. I looked into my bowl and saw a solid mass of chocolate. How the heck was I supposed to turn this into frosting?!

I pulled a butter knife out of the drawer, messed up the solid mass a bit, then whipped it into fluffy perfection using my hand blender. Success was mine!

Texture-wise, this frosting is perfectly spreadable and pipe-able. Taste-wise, this is much less sweet than a traditional butter-cream frosting {which always made me sick}. The best part is that you control the level of sweetness - choose a chocolate with a higher percentage of cacao for a less sweet frosting.

Also, you can make as little or as much as you need - just adjust the weight accordingly. {The recipe below is enough to fill and frost a 6 inch layer cake with a giant hole in it.} I'm sure coconut oil or even butter would work in this recipe. Enjoy!

Paleo Chocolate Butter-Cream Frosting

Ingredients:
  • 200 grams dark chocolate
  • 200 grams ghee 
Method:
  1. Melt the chocolate and ghee together in a small sauce pan over low heat. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to allow it to set.
  2. Remove the frosting from the fridge when hardened and allow to come to room temperature. If needed, break up the mass a bit using a butter knife.
  3. Using a a handheld mixer, blend the frosting on high until light and fluffy.
  4. Use immediately to frost or pipe, or store in the fridge for later (you'll have to blend it again before using).

1 comment:

  1. This look absolutely delicious! Thank you for the recipe. i'll have to try this myself sometime soon!

    The point of the Paleo diet is, and I feel some people forget this, to not only diet, but to eat delicious foods at the same time. It's the only diet I've come across that cuts out food groups, yet still focusses on everyone's need to eat great food.

    I'm a real foodie, and would not survive on any other diet, but Paleo has been very good for me. I've written about one of my favourite cookbooks: http://cookbook-reviews.net/review-the-paleo-recipe-book/

    ReplyDelete