Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Nourish: The Paleo Healing Cookbook {Cookbook Review}


As soon as I heard that Rachel was writing a cookbook, Nourish, The Paleo Healing Cookbook, I got excited. I had been following @meatified on Instagram for awhile, and everything she was putting out was inspirational, tasty, or a combination of both! When I learned that it was to be an AIP cookbook, I could barely contain myself - I have to skip over half the recipes in most paleo cookbooks because of pesky nightshades, but not here! When the book was up for pre-order, I placed mine asap. Then, when people started receiving their copies in March, I despaired... Mine wasn't due to ship until May 28th!

Rachel heard my heartache from across the ocean and surprised me with an advance-for-me copy, as well as a handwritten note! I was not only moved by this gesture, but I was also impatient to get cooking!



First off, the hubster was impressed with the book. As soon as he got home and saw it, he began flipping through it, occasionally stopping to tell me what I "had" to make. This is a sure sign of a winner as he is not at all impressed by cookbooks in general.

Second off, the book is absolutely gorgeous. The hardcover, which I love, has a beautiful image and the interior photos are crisp and mouthwatering. There isn't a photo for every recipe though, and if you've read my other reviews you'll know this is important to me. This hasn't stopped me from using the recipes though - and, strangely, every recipe I've made so far from the book has been one without a photo! The recipes are just that good...

Thirdly, and probably most importantly, the recipes are spot on. The ingredient lists are short, complete, and not full of too many "strange" ingredients. That is quite the feat for an AIP cookbook which also avoids coconut! The directions are clear and have been easy to follow. Even the cook times are accurate, which I have found to be rare indeed.


And lastly, this isn't your average, run-of-the-mill cookbook. Sure, there are the traditional explanations at the beginning to get you going on AIP. And sure, the recipes are divided up into handy chapters such as "Bring on Breakfast" and "How to do Dessert", but it really goes beyond basic recipes. I was a bit afraid of finding all the same recipes we find in other cookbooks, simply done over for AIP - but no. Rachel has managed to take basic ingredients and combine them in new and exciting ways.

Don't expect extravagant desserts though. Nourish, The Paleo Healing Cookbook does have a short dessert chapter, but it's designed to teach us how to treat ourselves without compromising a whole-foods approach. But I'm sure you'll see that the few fruit-based goodies proposed are more than enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.



Her recipes are even #hubsterapproved. He requested I make a batch of her Purple Slaw for breakfast. For BREAKFAST y'all! I think that's what you'd call winning.

So, who would I recommend this book to? Any and everyone who is looking to eat whole, delicious foods. Paleo or not, these recipes are just downright good!

And to prove it to you, I'm sharing a recipe from Nourish, The Paleo Healing Cookbook so you can try for yourself. This recipe is perfect, and I mean PERFECT, for those who think they don't like Brussels sprouts. Even the pickiest of eaters will love them.




Caramalized Brussels Sprouts
with lime and crispy shallots
Rachel Bryant, Nourish: The Paleo Healing Cookbook

Ingredients:
2 shallots
2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut or avocado oil, divided
1 lb (454 g) Brussels sprouts
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)

Crisp:
Peel the shallots and cut each in half. Slice the shallots finely. In a large skillet over low-medium heat, add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of oil. When the oil is hot and beginning to shimmer, add the shallots and toss them in the oil to coat, then spread them out in a single layer. Cook until golden, stirring frequently to avoid burning, about 5-8 minutes. Once the shallots are golden-brown and crispy, remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Watch them carefully as the shallots will burn easily - it's better to take them out when they still look a little underdone, especially if you're cooking them in a black skillet!

Caramelize:
Cut the stems from the bottom of each sprout and discard. Pull of any loose leaves and slice the rest of the sprouts finely. Add the remaining oil to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the loose leaves and the Brussels sprouts to the pan, along with the salt. Cook until the Brussels sprouts begin to caramelized at the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the lime juice and toss to coat. Continue to cook until caramelized and just tender, about 8 minutes. Top with the reserved crispy shallots and either serve immediately as a side, or let cool slightly and use as a salad base.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're so lucky to get a copy from the author! The book sounds very good, and I agree with having few desserts. Nom Nom Paleo is like that too and I like the point that just because there are plenty of paleo (or AIP) recipes, doesn't mean you should eat them like they're going out of style. They're still (usually) nutritionally void.

    And that recipe looks amazing, I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with this entire comment!

      Delete