Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Crocodile Done Ghee {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

Crocodile Fillet with Lemon-Ghee Sauce

Is that title too corny? Even if it is, I'm not changing it :p

Anywho, back to the task at hand: sharing a life experience with you my readers, and revealing the resulting recipe. This particular life experience is a little something called "Meg buys everything new or weird she finds" and the recipe is another little something called "crocodile filet cooked in ghee". {Crocodile Done Ghee sounds much better now, doesn't it?}

I'll back up a step.

The hubster and I were grocery shopping and I was mid-way through my "we stick to the list and don't buy anything extra" speech... when I saw the packages of crocodile fillets.

Crocodile fillet wasn't on my list.

Crocodile fillet isn't ever on my store shelves.

The hubster followed my gaze, spotted the crocodile, shook his head at me, and said no. I, of course, grabbed a pack anyway and threw it in the cart. It had a pretty hefty price tag, but I figured it would be a one-time thing anyway, so I went with it.

When dinner time rolled around, I pulled out the crocodile. I decided to go simple, and make a buttery-lemon sauce to serve over the pan-seared fillets.

The sauce was yummy... and the fillets were... interesting. It was like eating the offspring of a chicken that had mated with a fish. I'm therefore thinking this sauce would also be tasty on chicken or fish. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat crocodile again, especially with how expensive it is here in Belgium, but it was a fun experience and it changed things up from our usual rotation of dinner meats.

Crocodile Fillet with Lemon-Ghee SauceCrocodile Fillets with Lemon-Ghee Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 300 grams of crocodile fillets
  • 3 tbsp of ghee
  • 1/2 a lemon, juiced
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Method:
  1. Melt 1 tbsp of ghee in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the fillets cooking for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Season each side generously with salt and pepper.
  2. When cooked, remove the fillets from the pan and set on a plate, tenting with aluminum foil to keep warm.
  3. Add the remaining 2 tbsp of ghee and the lemon juice to the frying pan. Allow to cook until slightly browned (1-2 minutes).
  4. Serve the crocodile fillets drizzled with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment