Saturday, March 21, 2015

Aunt Debbie's Paleo Banana Bread {Paleo}


Wow - It's been far too long since I last posted! Life has been crazy-busy lately since I'm only 8 days away from my school's dance concert. That means I had to invent dances, teach them to my students, practice them - and sew costumes! I'm averaging 10 hours of sewing per week - plus work, plus CrossFit, plus life! Things should be back to normal after the concert though...

One of the things that has made my life easier during this rush was having post-workout snacks ready to grab-and-go. My favorite one? Banana bread.


My Aunt Debbie's banana bread is the best ever. It's the bread that filled my childhood snack times and the only banana bread I've ever truly enjoyed. I managed to recreate a paleo version of that bread, and though I enjoy that version, it still wasn't quite as good as the lanes from my memories.

Enter cassava flour.

Cassava flour isn't the same thing as "tapioca flour", which is actually just starch. Cassava flour is made using the whole cassava root - also known as tapioca root. And rumor had it that it could replace wheat flour 1:1 in traditional recipes.

I decided to put it to test using my favorite wheat flour recipe. And.It.Worked.

Now this loaf ended up a bit overcooked, though I always cooked my Aunt Debbie's banana bread for a full 60 minutes. I would suggest cooking this cassava flour version for less time. In any case, I'm off to enjoy another slice of my childhood favorite...

*Note: For the sugar, you can choose to add as much or as little as you like. No sugar makes a barely sweet bread that is DIVINE used for French toast. Using 1/4 cup of sugar makes a very sweet, almost cake-like bread. You decide :)

Aunt Debbie's Paleo Banana Bread

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup ghee
  • 0-4 tbsp granulated sugar of choice
  • 3 black bananas
  • 3 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups cassava flour
  • 1 heaping tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Method:

  1. Cream together the eggs, sugar and ghee.
  2. Add the bananas and mix until smooth.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients one by one until well mixed.
  4. Poor into a well greased or parchment paper lined loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
  5. Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing and slicing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meg, I tried your banana bread and looooooove it! I used gari instead of cassave flour and absolutely love the texture. And I love that it hasn't got nuts and/or coconut flour in it. Thanks for this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so happy it worked well for you!

      Delete