Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Sweet Potato & Salsify Mash {Paleo, AIP, Whole30}


I love potatoes... but potatoes hate me. They make my stomach feel like it's being wrung out by a couple very strong hands, and then they make my intestines feel like they're being run through the wringer. It's absolutely horrible.

So, I eat sweet potatoes.

For the most part, sweet potatoes fulfill my potato needs: they make tasty chips, yummy fries, and crispy cubes. But, no matter how I try, I just can't get on board with mashed sweet potatoes. They're too sweet to really fulfill their job as my taste buds would like.

Until now. I added in some mild tasting salsify root and that tuned down the sweetness just enough to make this mash the perfect carby side for anything from meatloaf to gravy covered roast.

I used my immersion blender to get the super smooth texture, but feel free to mash by hand if you prefer chunks.

Sweet Potato & Salsify Mash

Ingredients:
  • 150 grams sweet potato
  • 150 grams black salsify root
  • 2 tbsp ghee (coconut oil for AIP)
  • Sea salt and black pepper omit pepper for AIP)

Method:

  1. Cut the sweet potato and salsify into uniformly sized cubes.
  2. Steam or roast the veggie cubes until tender when pierced with a fork.
  3. Mash well, or blend using an immersion blender, with the ghee. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment