Friday, January 2, 2015

Olive Tapenade {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

Anytime I am asked to make an appetizer, or anytime I am having people over to eat, I make tapenade. It's super simple, tastes delicious and pairs perfectly with veggie chips - making it a great paleo choice!

I don't really have a "recipe" for my tapenade. All I do is take a can of pitted olives {any color is fine}, drain off the liquid, and blend with olive oil until it's a consistency I like.

That's for basic tapenade, but I like to mix things up a bit. Here are some suggestions for great add-ins that really take your tapenade to a whole other level:

  • Herbs and spices
  • Anchovies
  • Garlic
  • Veggie purées
  • Onions
  • Sun-dried tomatoes {not AIP}
  • Nuts {not AIP}
  • Cheese {not AIP}

Clockwise: black olives + garlic + anchovies + sun-dried tomatoes,
green olives + garlic + anchovies + sun-dried tomatoes,
black olives + anchovies, green olives + anchovies.


And here some great ideas for serving/eating tapenade. A mandolin slicer makes cutting veggies for this sort of use a breeze.


  • Sliced carrots
  • Sliced kohlrabi
  • Sliced cucumbers
  • Plantain chips/crackers (homemade or store-bought)
  • Stirred into canned tuna
  • Spread on top of chicken breast

What are your favorite ways to eat tapenade? How do you flavor yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment