Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Homemade Cough Drops {AIP, Paleo}

Homemade Paleo Cough Drops
Once, these uglies were hearts. At least they taste great and work well!

If you follow my blog, you'll remember I got a cough a couple weeks ago and I "cured" the painful, swollen throat part of it using a horrible tasting mixture of turmeric and apple cider vinegar - but the cough remained. It was like I had a constant tickle in the back of my throat that just would not go away. It would send me into coughing fits that happened more and more often. It got to the point where I could not even finish a sentence without first coughing up a lung.

I decided to look into making my own cough drops.

I googled a few recipes, grabbed my kitchen thermometer, and got to work.

They were boring to make. After, they were hard to store as they changed shape and stuck together in the jar (despite the powdered sugar I coated them in which was supposed to prevent them from sticking!). But, they were efficient. 

I'm still coughing (it's been exactly two weeks today), but as soon as I started sucking on them, my cough started getting better whereas before it had only been getting worse. I'm now only coughing late at night and early in the morning - and very rarely during the day.

So, go ahead and give these a try! For even more immune-boosting power, infuse medicinal herbs with the ginger - I didn't have any on hand. And use more or less ginger depending on how much you like the taste - I used 1 tbsp and it was quite strong tasting.

Also, resist the urge to turn the heat up. I'm fairly certain my cough drops should have been lighter colored, but I was impatient and kept turning the burner up so it would heat up faster. Thankfully, they don't taste burned - but it could happen to you! Just be patient and keep stirring...

Homemade Paleo Cough Drops
Homemade Cough Drops

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 - 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1/2 a lemon, juiced
Method:

  1. Pour the boiling water over the ginger and allow to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid and discarding the ginger.
  2. Put the ginger-infused water, honey and lemon juice into a large pot and heat on medium-low heat, stirring until it reaches 300°F. (If you don't have a candy thermometer, use the cold water test: drop a bit into a glass of ice-cold water - if it balls up and is hard when you squeeze it, it's done.)
  3. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool slightly (the bubbles will go away and become liquid). Pour into silicon candy molds and allow to harden at room temperature.

I recommend storing these in the candy mold, as mine stuck together when I tried storing them all together. Just pop one out as you need it!

EDIT

One of my Instagram followers, Alexandra, found the perfect solution for storing and transporting these cough drops: wax paper squares!


5 comments:

  1. AIP cough drops! You are awesome. I host a weekly Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable through my blog, and I would love it if you linked up this recipe. You just click the blue button at the bottom of the post to add your recipe, and readers will be directed back to your blog to read it: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2015/01/28/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-60/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thanks for the honor! :)

      Delete
  2. My son is allergic to citrus. What can I use in place of the lemon juice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LouEsta What about apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon juice? I would think it would work, and serve the same purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete