Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Boar Stew with mushrooms {Paleo, Whole30}

Wild Boar Stew bowl

This year was my second New Year celebration while fully paleo. We had a giant stuffed turkey last year, but wanted to change things up this year with a bit of wild game meat... and the animal we chose was wild boar.

Since I'm the one with the most food restrictions, it fell to me to find a recipe for our boar. I searched around a bit, and found one I liked. I sent the link to everyone I was celebrating New Year's with, and they all gave their approval.

As the date grew nearer, I grew anxious. I mean, the recipe was a stew recipe. Was stew going to be fancy enough for ringing in the new year? I sure hoped so...

The big day came and I sneaked a whiff of the meat that had been marinating since the night before in our hosts' fridge: oh.my. It smelled amazing! And you know what? It tasted just as delicious as it smelled. Stew certainly can be fancy enough for ringing in the new year.

Wild Boar Stew close upBoar Stew with Mushrooms
Adapted from Octavie of 750g.com

Ingredients:
  • 500 g of boar (or other game meat, or even beef stew meat)
  • 50 g of bacon
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 250 ml (1 cup) of red wine (replace with bone broth for Whole30)
  • 250 ml (1 cup) of bone broth
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cloves
  • 2 Juniper berries
  • 1 tsp of thyme
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • Some ghee
  • 250 g of mushrooms
Method: 
  1. Cut the meat into pieces and put them in a dish with a lid. Add the sliced carrots, the diced onions, the spices and herbs, the olive oil, wine and bone broth. (Add either more wine or broth until the meat is completely covered.)
  2. Chill, covered, for 24 hours. Stir the meat occasionally.
  3. Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add the meat and marinade. Stir everything and add water, if necessary, to cover the meat. Cook gently, covered, at least two hours.
  4. When cooked, sauté the mushrooms in a pan with a little ghee.
  5. Add the mushrooms to the rest. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment