Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Alternative Autoimmune Cookbook {Cookbook Review}

The Alternative Autoimmune Cookbook ipad photo

Wow. Just wow.

This cookbook moved me. Not quite to tears, but I was deeply touched by what I read.

Now you may be thinking that I'm a special kind of crazy, or wondering what kind of onion joke I'm about to make, but the truth is, this cookbook is obviously a very personal piece of work.

To start with, The Alternative Autoimmune Cookbook has all the regular information concerning AIP, healing and living - but with a very friendly touch that leaves you with the feeling that you just spoke to a friend about the ins and outs of autoimmune coping.


After the introduction, the guidelines and the tips come the yummy looking recipes. Angie takes these recipes a step further though and classes them according to what phase of AIP you're currently navigating. You'll find over 50 mouthwatering recipes here, covering breakfast, lunch and dinner - with snacks and desserts to boot!

But. There's even more. And I dare say this more is the best part. This is the part that really got me and I found myself skipping over the drool-worthy recipes just to find the next bit to read.

You see, Angie shared her autoimmune journey with us, sprinkling the chapters of her life throughout the healing recipes of her amazing cookbook. Not only did reading her story make it seem like she was right there telling it herself, but it also made me feel normal.

Struggling with autoimmune disease, especially if, like me, you never managed to get a diagnoses for any of your problems, can make you feel like an alien. I often felt different than the others, and even more so when I decided to eat paleo and then AIP. Angie's story made me realize that others have felt some of the same feelings as me, if not all of the same feelings.

Confusion. Fear. Helplessness. Frustration. Anger. Contentment.

I've felt them all, at different times during my journey to better health, and Angie has, too. Reading her words helped me put words to my own emotions and, in the space of the one car ride I spent reading, has helped me find a new sort of peace regarding my health decisions.

Not only that, but I'm more than ever reassured that AIP was what I needed to feel optimal. I'm currently nearing the end of the Phase 1 Reintroduction Period and I've had great success with reintroductions. But even if I can't reintroduce all of the eliminated foods, or if their reintroduction will require more healing, I have proof that AIP, modified with my successful reintroductions, can be satisfying long-term. Angie Alt is that proof, and I thank her for all her cookbook has done for me.

If you're wondering whether or not AIP is for you, or if you're hesitating about giving it a go, give this a read. If you don't find yourself nodding your head as you read, recognizing many of the same struggles as ones you went or are going through, then maybe, maybe, the autoimmune protocol isn't your solution. But if you're reading this review, then it probably is.

And even if it isn't, the cookbook is well worth it for the delectable recipes. They all use normal ingredients and require minimal prep time. They were also all tested by Angie's sister, Jenifer, who doesn't follow any special diet at all - just to make sure they would be tasty enough for any and all people you might be cooking for.


And just to get your mouth watering, here's a recipe Angie so kindly allowed me to share with y'all!

This recipe is simple, uses simple ingredients, and is simply delicious! The hubster and I were both blown away by how much flavor was packed into our pork chops! I let out an, "oh my god!" and the hubster an, "oh putain!" {which, by the way, is a French expletive}. In other words, this is good. Real good.


Lemon Rosemary Brined Pork Chops
Lemon Rosemary Brined Pork Chops || Angie Alt

Lemon Rosemary Brined Pork Chops
Author: 
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 4
I love brining! It is an easy, flavorful way to prepare a meaty main dish.
Ingredients
  • 1¾ cups filtered water
  • 5 tablespoons salt
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 lemon, halved
  • ¼ cup white wine vinegar
  • 20 ice cubes
  • 4 bone‐in pork chops
Instructions
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine water, salt, onion, garlic, rosemary, bay leaves, lemon and vinegar. Bring mixture to boil over high heat, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat, cover and let sit 10 minutes.
  2. Place ice in a large bowl. Pour brine over ice and stir to melt.
  3. Place pork chops in a large freezer bag. Add brine and seal. To avoid spills, place bag in a large bowl and set in refrigerator for 3 hours.
  4. After brining, remove chops from bag. Rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Grill over high heat for 2‐3 minutes per side. Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds absolutely fantastic. Especially the part that goes beyond the recipes. I've struggled with this for a long time being on and off AIP, it's so refreshing to hear that others are going through exactly the same thing even though we may feel so alone sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! That's why I loved this book so much :)

      Delete