Sunday, December 28, 2014

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies {Paleo, AIP-friendly}

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie with a glass of coconut milk

The hubster is super picky when it comes to paleo food - especially paleo desserts. When I decided to make a trio of American favorites for our New Year's party dessert, I first had to win him over.

First up in the trio was a rich, chocolatey brownie. Fortunately, I already had a hubster-approved brownie recipe, my Fudgy Flourless Brownies. I whipped up a batch so he could remember how good they were and I was on my way to the next mini dessert...

The second in my lineup was to be an apple pie. He always likes my apple pie fillings, so the only thing I had to sell to him was the crust. Two recipes later and we had a winner, Martine's Pie Crust.

The final mini dessert would be much harder to perfect... I tried recipe after recipe, making a batch of cookies each day. Some of them got the "okay" stamp from him, but none of them really impressed him. I was so fed up with following recipes, and I really had the impression that they all looked the same anyway, that I just decided to wing it and see what would happen.

Perfection happened.


Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie with a glass of coconut milk

These cookies are thin and chewy, yet strong enough to be dunked into a glass of milk. They brown up nicely and aren't overly sweet. I stirred in chocolate chips, but you could substitute carob chips or dried fruits to make them AIP compliant. You could even make them plain {which is the hubster's favorite way of eating chocolate chip cookies - weird, huh?}.

Whatever you do, do it and do it soon. These cookies are delicious!

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie with a bite taken out of it
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies {Paleo, AIP-friendly}

Ingredients:
  • 25 g coconut flour
  • 75 g tapioca flour/starch
  • 75 g unrefined cane sugar (or granulated sugar of choice)
  • 50 g ghee, room temperature (coconut oil for AIP)
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp gelatin
  • 1 tsp vanilla (alcohol free for AIP)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (omit for AIP)
Method:
  1. Mix everything together thoroughly.
  2. Place 2 tablespoons of dough on a parchment paper lined baking tray and flatten slightly. Repeat to make 12 cookies.
  3. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes.
  4. Allow to cool 5 minutes on the baking tray before handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment