Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Prosciutto Salad {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Prosciutto Salad

I like Brussels sprouts - but I love them with bacon! And I'm thinking I'm not alone on this as there are many sprouts recipes including bacon.

Sadly though, I have yet to find bacon here in Belgium that doesn't make me sick. I finally decided to avoid bacon in an effort to find better health, thus ending an incredibly long love-hate relationship between me and the smoked porky goodness.

But the other day I got a hankering for Brussels sprouts. I would have just roasted some and eaten them with sea salt, but the hubster doesn't like sprouts. He only tolerates them when bacon is involved. 

Then I thought about Michelle of Nom Nom Paleo and her Porkitos. Porkitos, for those who don't know, are baked prosciutto slices. I used dry-cured ham commonly found around here, which worked perfectly. Just be sure to read the labels and go with a sugar-free meat, whatever you choose to use.

And what did the hubster think about all this? Well, sprout-hater that he is, he fought me for the salad that was left in the serving bowl. When he finished scarfing it all down, he threw his hands up in the air and said, "It's just so good! Make that whenever you feel like it." 

Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Prosciutto Salad

If that isn't a seal of approval, I don't know what is!

Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Prosciutto Salad

Ingredients:
  • 10 large Brussels sprouts
  • 1/4 cup Porkitos
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper
Method:
  1. Thinly slice the sprouts and place in a serving dish. 
  2. Crumble and sprinkle the porkitos over the sprouts.
  3. Mix together the oil and vinegar, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Dress the salad and toss to combine.
  5. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for a few days.

Bonus!

This recipe works well with finely chopped broccoli florets as well - simply use one small head of broccoli instead of the Brussels sprouts and follow the directions as usual. {The hubster prefers this with the sprouts.}

Chopped Broccoli & Prosciutto Salad

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Brussels sprouts!!!!!! I make them many days a week, and usually fried with bacon. I'm going to add this recipe to my repertoire, thanks Meg :)

    ReplyDelete