Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pull Pork Tongue {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

When I saw pork tongue for sale at my local Carrefour, I grabbed the two-pack and threw it in my basket without even thinking. It was only as I realized I was digging through the shelves looking for more packs that it hit me: I was buying tongue. Wha?!

I just shrugged and carried on with my searching. And while I didn't find any more tongue, I did find four packs of beef liver and two packs of pork heart, all of which got thrown into my shopping basket as well. I often grind up some liver and/or heart to add to my breakfast sausage, and the hubster is used to this by now, but I was sure he wouldn't accept the idea of eating tongue quite as easily...

And I was right.

He whined and moaned and complained long before I even put the tongues on the menu. When the day came to cook them, he spent the day sending me threatening texts {If you don't make me a steak or a pork chop instead, I'll go eat fast food!} which soon turned into pleading texts {Please, could you make me something else?}. I told him to be a man and eat the dang tongues. 



Dinner time came and I served him up a big plate of tongue. I had even gone the extra mile and shredded the bad boys just so it didn't look one little bit like a tongue. He spent a good five minutes "searching" for I-don't-know-what in his mess of meat before I finally yelled and him and threatened to force-feed him if he didn't just try it already!

He tried it - and loved it! {And I must admit, it was full of flavor!} As he put it:


It doesn't taste like tongue... 
Actually, I don't know what tongue tastes like. 
It's good. Real good.

He then pulled a gluten-filled bun out of the freezer, plopped it into the toaster, and proceeded to eat the tongue like a pulled-pork sandwich, but hey, baby steps, right? I got him to eat - and like - tongue. And I now have permission to make tongue again when I like. #winning


Pulled Pork Tongue

Ingredients:
  • 2 pork tongues
  • 3 small onions
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tbsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 cup of bone broth
  • Water
Method:
  1. Slice the onions and place in a pressure cooker or a slow cooker. Peel the garlic and cut in half, adding to the onions.
  2. Rinse off the tongues and lay on top of the onions and garlic. Sprinkle with thyme and celery salt, and add the bay leaves.
  3. Pour in the bone broth, then add water to cover the tongues.
  4. Place on the lid. If using a pressure cooker, pressurize, then cook for 3-4 hours. If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  5. Once cooked, remove the tongues from the liquid and allow to cool slightly.
  6. Meanwhile, heat up the liquid over high heat and allow it to boil rapidly so it reduces by at least half (reduce more for drier meat, less for soupy meat).
  7. When the tongues are cool enough to handle, remove the skin by scoring and peeling. It should come off easily.
  8. Using two forks, shred the meat as desired. 
  9. Once the liquid has reduced, add the meat back in to reheat. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment