Sunday, November 23, 2014

Churroed Pig Ear {AIP, Paleo}

I'm a pretty adventurous eater, and my father-in-law knows that, so when he saw a discounted package of pig parts, he bought it for me. The pack included a pig ear, foot and tail. Don't you think the tail looks eerily like a fingernail-less finger?


Anywho, back to the pig parts. They sat around in my freezer for awhile because I couldn't decide what to do with them. Then my copy of The Paleo Approach Cookbook arrived - and there was a recipe for trotters. I pulled the pack out of the freezer and prepared the foot and tail following the recipe.

Both were pretty dang tasty prepared this way, though I preferred the tail. The tail had more actual meat, while the foot had a lot of squishy stuff. I wouldn't go out of my way to prepare trotters again, but I just might hunt down more tails...

Anywho again... I was still left with an ear. I had boiled it with the foot and tail so that it would be ready, and it was now time to tackle the beast.


I decided to deep fry it.

Then I decided to cover it in cinnamon and sugar.

Those were two of the best decisions I have ever made.

Now, bits of the ear were gross. Like, the inner ear had hairs. Eww. So I cut that part out and threw it away. I'm adventurous, but that was too much for me. The hubster came home just as I was finishing the frying, so he didn't see the ear, therefore, he tried a bite. His reaction: not worth it.


I, on the other hand, loved them!

They were crunchy on the outside, and chewy-meaty-squishy on the inside! They had a great churro look and flavor, but they also had an amazing pork flavor that shone through. Deep fried cinnamon and sugar pork - what more could you ask for?


Churroed Pig Ear

Ingredients:
  • 1 pig ear
  • 1/3 cup tapioca flour
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar of choice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Fat for frying
  • Optional: 2 tbsp granulated sugar of choice + 1 tsp cinnamon
Method:
  1. Boil the pig ear for 3 hours, topping off the water if needed to keep covered.
  2. Remove ear from water and rinse with cool water until cool enough to handle.
  3. Slice as desired.
  4. Mix together the flour, sugar and cinnamon, then coat the slices in the mixture.
  5. Meanwhile, heat the fat over medium-high heat until hot.
  6. In small batches, fry the slices until golden brown. Remove from fat and drain on paper towels.
  7. If using the optional coating, sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon while still hot.
  8. Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting.... I'd try it if someone else made it for me. Could you have used the trotter towards broth? The next time I buy bones from the butcher, I'm asking for knuckles because they're loaded with the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll gladly make it for you, if ever you come visit me ;)

      And I used everything I didn't eat from the trotter in my bone broth. I actually still have knuckle bones that are still going strong, as I do the punch test and reuse any bones that don't crumble :P

      Delete
  2. Can you explain more about this "punch test"?? please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, typo... I meant "pinch test". I just pinch broth bones after they cool. If they crumble, I throw them out. If not, I put them back in the freezer and use them again.

      Delete