Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Not-So-Sweet Beet Cookies {AIP, Paleo}

I don't like cooked beets.

I love raw beets, and even have two different shredded beet salad recipes on my blog. Raw beets are crunchy, slightly sweet and pair well with tangy dressings.

Cooked beets are squishy, overly sweet and make everything to touch taste nasty.

Except for one recipe: The Urban Poser's Tomato-Less "Marinara" Sauce.

This sauce is just so dang good. Jenni says that this sauce is one of the greatest things she has ever made - and I believe it! This sauce looks, acts and tastes just like a tomato sauce should! All without a single nightshade. It's like some kind of voodoo magic - and I'd gladly sell my soul for this sauce, it's that good!


But anyway, back to the subject on hand: beets. This sauce uses beets. I have an incredibly hard time finding fresh {read: raw} beets at my local grocery stores, but I can always find ready-cooked beets. That doesn't matter for this recipe as they need to be cooked anyway. The problem is, they are sold in packs for 4-6 beets. Jenni's recipe only calls for 2-3 beets. Can you see my problem?

Now, I could just make a double batch and freeze the extras, but my freezer is only about the size of a large microwave. That space is precious and reserved for meat, veggie scraps and bones. I needed a way to use up the extra cooked beets, but a way that would mask the flavor enough for my temperamental palate...

I tried blending it into a green smoothie, and while the taste was alright, it wasn't delicious - and I ended up getting a sugar headache after eating it all. {I'm pretty sensitive to sugar these days and have to keep my doses fairly low.} 

I didn't give up though, and eventually a plan hatched in my head - beet cookies. I'd seen beets used in red velvet cakes, so I figured red velvet cookies could work as well. I mixed a few ingredients together in a bowl and put them in the oven to bake - and you know what? It worked. 


These cookies are just barely sweet - both in taste and ingredients-wise - so they're perfect for people like me. They are super soft and chewy, but they hold together very well and are therefore perfectly portable and holdable - they would be great for lunchboxes! And they even have a slight oatmeal-cookie texture to them, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The only thing I didn't like was the color - I was expecting a nice red hue {the batters' color is great!} but it baked into a dark brown. It is still an appetizing color, but red would have been better :p

In any case, enjoy these not-so-sweet, guilt-free cookies! Oh, and did I mention they're AIP compliant? #teamAIPforlife 

Not-So-Sweet Beet Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 200 grams beets 
  • 1 green plantain
  • 3 tbsp tapioca flour
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Method:
  1. Blend everything together, except the coconut, using a high speed blender or an immersion blender.
  2. Stir in the coconut.
  3. Place dough on a nonstick baking surface, forming cookies as you wish.
  4. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 20 minutes.
  5. Enjoy hot or cold.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your post. This post really help me a lot and I have learnt some new things from your blog. I am bookmark your blog for future visit.
    pure cambogia slim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post. This post really awesome and very helpful to me. Please keep posting good contents. Thank you.
    kimera

    ReplyDelete