Friday, October 31, 2014

AIP Paleo Menu & Budget {Week 27/10 - 2/11}

When I first started eating paleo, one of my biggest questions was, "Well, what exactly do I need to eat?" I had no idea what a typical day, let alone week, looked like, and even the simple task of grocery shopping seemed daunting because I didn't know how much food to buy!

I'm pretty comfortable with this lifestyle now though, and even though the hubster isn't 100% paleo, we have a certain groove and things tend to run pretty smoothly now. I thought I'd share a typical week of menus plus the amount I spent on the groceries for the week - you know, just to give other newbies an idea of what to expect expenditure wise, as well as an example of daily paleo eating.

A quick note about expenses... my grocery bill has gone up slightly since going paleo. It went from about 325€ per month to about 400€ per month. We eat a lot more meat than before, and we also eat a lot more veggies. So yes, in the days of subsisting on bread and pasta for most meals might have been cheaper, it also was painful and boring. Also, I don't really pay attention to what I spend when I'm grocery shopping. I know I have about 400€ per month that I can allot to food {household items such as washing power and toilet paper are also included in this budget}, so I just buy whatever I feel like eating, including some extras that we could easily live without. If 400€ a month is too much for you, know that when I shop deals and make an effort to spend less, I can stay below 300€ pretty easily. We just have less variety is all.

Anywho, on to the menu! Most weeks I choose one cookbook and try to make a maximum of meals from it. This both ensures that I'm "getting my moneys' worth" out of each book, as well as varies our meals pretty well from week to week.

Breakfast
For me: 
Bone-broth-based veggie soup {made from the weeks' scraps}
Cauliflower "Fried Rice" {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}
Three Herb Beef Patties {with added beef liver and pork heart}

For him:
Sauteed zucchini
Three Herb Beef Patties {with added beef liver and pork heart}

For us Sunday:
Cinnamon Ginger Baked Pears {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}
+ everything else from the other days

Three-Herb Beef Breakfast Patties || Mickey Trescott
Lunch
For me Monday-Friday: 
Half a bag of salty plantain chips
Mediterranean Salmon Salad {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}
served on a bed of fresh spinach

For him Monday-Thursday:
Herbed Roast Chicken {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}
Mixed bell peppers and onions cooked with the chicken

For him Friday:
Hubster Cheat Day {he goes out to eat with his coworkers}

For us Saturday:

For us Sunday:
Usually a restaurant meal with the hubster's grandparents, family lunch with parents, or we scrounge/clean out the fridge. There's never a real plan for Sundays.

Tuna & Peaches Salad || Meg White

Snack
Crossfit days:
Banana {the hubster puts his in his protein shake}
Half a can of tuna + avocado {mayo for the hubster}

Non-crossfit days:
Apple
Prosciutto
Carrot sticks
 {The hubster usually also has nuts or peanuts}

Dinner
Monday:
Lamb meatballs with Garlic & Spinach {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}
Curried Cauliflower {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}

Tuesday:
Chicken Caesar Salad {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}
Yuca fries for me {The Paleo Approach Cookbook}
Potato fries for the hubster

Wednesday:
Pork tongue {recipe coming soon!}
Rosemary Roasted Carrots {The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook}

Thursday:
Broccoli mash {recipe coming soon!}

Friday:
Leftovers, scrounge meal

Saturday:
Dinner with the parents

Sunday:
Usually a restaurant meal with the hubster's grandparents, family lunch with parents, or we scrounge/clean out the fridge. There's never a real plan for Sundays.

Cranberry Braised Short-Ribs || Mickey Trescott

And this weeks' grand total was: 84,63€. This is more than enough food for the week, and we'll be eating some of the veggies into next week as well. This budget works for us - and I hope my menu helps inspire y'all just a wee little bit!

How much do you spend on groceries? 

No comments:

Post a Comment