Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Sweet & Tangy Tuna Wraps {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

Paleo lunches to go are fairly easy to come up with, provided you have access to a table, or at least a fork at lunch time. Paleo lunches on the go are a completely different story.

In my pre paleo days, I would often swing by my local sandwich shop and order a third of a baguette with all the fixings. It was easy to eat, tasted great and filled me up. {We'll skip over all the damage it was doing to me for now...}

Since baguettes, and therefore sandwich shops, are out of the question now that I'm paleo, what do I turn to?

Wraps.

I wrap the heck outta all the fixings and I eat those bad boys with one hand if need be - all while being on the go. They're easy to eat, taste great, and fill me up. {Plus, no crash later on the day, just steady fuel to keep me going - I am on the go after all!}


There are many wrap tutorials and recipes on the net, but I find this "burrito" method to be the easiest - and this filling combo the tastiest!

I used red cabbage to make my sauerkraut, mostly because I find it prettier on my plate and in wraps. Feel free to use regular sauerkraut if that's what you have - the flavor is the most important part anyway!

For this wrap I used green cabbage {Savoy cabbage, I believe is the official name}, but I've also used other sorts of cabbage, collard greens, beet greens... any sturdy leaf will do. If you're worried about how well they'll hold up, double up the layers. {I usually double up when using beet greens, for example.}


The secret to a successful wrap is get the wet factor just right. You want the filing to be moist enough so you're not choking it down, but not so juicy that it's leaking out the bottom. When inventing your own fillings, don't forget to keep this in mind.

Sweet & Tangy Tuna Wraps

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of tuna
  • 1/2 of a peach
  • 1/2 of an avocado
  • 1/4 cup sauerkraut
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4-8 sturdy leaves, hard stems removed
Method:
  1. Place a largeish sheet of aluminum foil on the work surface {if you don't like foil touching your food, lay down a layer of parchment paper on top of the foil}.
  2. Arrange the leaves on the foil, overlapping so no holes remain.
  3. Mix together the drained tuna and the avocado, seasoning to taste. Spread out down the middle of the greens, leaving a space at the bottom.
  4. Cut the peach half into 6 wedges, arrange on top of the tuna.
  5. Spread the sauerkraut out next to the peaches.
  6. Close the wrap. First, fold up the bottom. Next, fold over one side, then the other. Fold up the bottom of the foil, then fold over one side. Roll the wrap tightly to finish closing the foil around it.
  7. If eating immediately, tear of the top of the foil and eat, removing syrups as you go.
  8. If packing to go, place another piece of foil over the top, folding to close.

No comments:

Post a Comment