Wednesday, September 3, 2014

No-Fail Beet Leaf Chips {or Kale Chips, or...}


When I visited my folks state-side last year, my sister raved on and on about "kale chips". I didn't know what "kale" was, but I loved chips, so I was all game.

The first time we went to a grocery store together, she grabbed a leafy bunch of greens and excitedly exclaimed, "we'll buy this so we can make chips!" 

Oh. So that was what kale was. 

I was a little skeptical about the whole thing, but I decided to keep my hesitations to myself and trust my little sissy about kale chips being the best ever.

Well, that first bunch of kale sat in the fridge and wilted, so we fed it to the pet turtles. The second bunch also sat in the fridge and wilted and therefore was also fed to the turtles. Then my stay in America drew to an end and I returned to Belgium and mostly forgot about kale chips.

Then, one day, my Pépé gave me a bunch of "chou frisé" from his garden - and you know what? It looked exactly like kale. {That's because it was kale.} I quickly went online and looked up a recipe - it was as simple as washing, oiling, salting and baking! Simple!

Right. Or not.

I burned my first batch. Ick.

I under cooked my second batch. Ick again.

After burning my third batch, I decided to give up on kale chips. Until I stumbled across the best tip ever {which for the life of me I can't find anymore}. And you know what? I made some delicious freaking kale chips! My sissy was right - they really are that good!

Do you want to know how to bake perfectly crisp kale chips every single time as well? Turn off your oven. That's right, trust me - it'll be delicious.

The beauty of this method is it can be used to turn any sturdy leaf into a "chip". Don't stop at kale or, as I have used here, beet leaves - give any of those green tops a go! Add different spices and seasonings as well if you want a bit more oomph. Just, you can only make one sheet of leaves at a time using this method - if you try to fill your oven with as many baking trays as possible, they won't dry out {trust me, I've tried}.


No Fail Beet Leaf {or Kale} Chips

Ingredients:
  • A handful of sturdy greens
  • Liquid fat of choice
  • Sea salt
  • Optional: Additional spices
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to its hottest temperature.
  2. Wash and dry greens, removing any tough stems. Cut into smaller pieces if desired.
  3. Place on a non-stick baking tray (or line a baking tray with parchment paper) and drizzle with a bit of fat.
  4. Mix everything around with your hands to coat the leaves in the fat. Spread out fairly flat in a single layer.
  5. Season with sea salt (and other spices if using).
  6. When oven has finished preheating, place the baking tray inside, close the door and turn off the oven.
  7. In about 20 minutes, your chips will be perfectly dried and ready to munch. If you completely forget about it, no problem, they will still be perfectly dried and ready to munch.
  8. Enjoy immediately (doesn't keep well).

No comments:

Post a Comment