Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I Can't Eat Cheese {Faux Feta Tomatoes}


I can't have any cheese. I've tried them all. {Well, except cheese made from some of the more exotic milks, such as elephant or lioness, but really, who has?} They all disagree with me and my gut something fierce.

That's why the hubster was so surprised when he bit into these tomatoes. He looked at me and said, "you can eat feta now?"

I looked at him strangely and tasted the tomato myself. I tasted like feta.

We analyzed the ingredients, trying to figure out what it was that gave it the feta taste... We decided it was the garlic and olive oil.

You see, we used to roast slices of feta in the oven. We'd top the cheese with all sorts of spices - especially garlic - and a drizzle of olive oil. So maybe these won't remind you of feta, but they certainly do it for us.

And even if you're not looking for a feta substitute, this makes a darn tasty side - and it's hubster approved! {He even went back for seconds!}


Faux Feta Tomatoes

Ingredients:

  • 3 tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil plus more to drizzle
  • 2 tbsp tapioca flour
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 tbsp dried minced onion
  • 1 tsp dried garlic
  • Sea salt to taste
Method:
  1. Cut the tomatoes in half and salt the cut sides. Place cut side down in a colander or sieve and allow to "sweat" for about 15 minutes.
  2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients and spread on the cut sides of the tomatoes. 
  3. Bake cut-side up for 10 minutes in an oven preheated at maximum.
  4. Serve drizzled with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment