Saturday, September 27, 2014

Belgian Classics - Mustard Patties {Whole30, Paleo}

I'm starting up AIP full-force this Monday. I've actually been sticking to the AIP guidelines for the last week, but I haven't yet informed my mother-in-law about the restrictions, so I'm saving my official start date for the day after tomorrow. Therefore, I'm sharing this recipe from awhile back now, since it's not AIP compliant.

Okay. I don't really know if this is an actual Belgian classic, but it is at least a family favorite over here in Wallonia. This was actually my first introduction to my beloved Bister L'Imériale Mustard. This is one of my mother-in-laws' go-to weeknight dinners, as it requires very hands-on work.

You can substitute any mustard you'd like for this recipe, though I would suggest choosing one that has a bit more complexity than a simple yellow mustard. If you really enjoy your meat paired with a sweet note, a quality honey mustard would accentuate the flavor of the grilled onions quite nicely.



This dish is sweet and simple and goes perfectly with a simple side or greens or, to stay with the Belgian theme, throw together a quick Belgian Endive salad.

And if you are hesitating or thinking you may have sliced too many onions - don't. They reduce greatly and no matter how many I end up slicing, I never seem to have enough on my plate!

Enjoy!


Belgian Mustard Patties

Ingredients:
  • 250 grams ground pork
  • 250 grams ground beef
  • 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup mustard
  • 5 large onions
  • Fat of choice for frying
Method:
  1. Slice the onions and cook over medium-low heat in FOC until translucent and slightly browned.
  2. Meanwhile, mix together the pork, beef, garlic, olive oil and about 1 tbsp of the mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Form 6 patties from the meat and cook over medium-high heat until just before desired wellness. 
  4. Spread both sides of the patties with the remaining mustard and allow to cook for about 30 seconds per side.
  5. Serve the patties hot and topped with the grilled onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment