Monday, August 18, 2014

Zucchini on Zucchini {Zoodles with Zucchini Cream Sauce}


I've been following Hayley Ziegler's IG feed for awhile now, and lately she's been amazing us with all her inventive uses of zucchini. {Check out my version of her zucchini cheese here!}

Well, I found myself wanting pasta one evening, and I also needed to clean out the fridge before leaving on our mini vacation. We didn't have much in the fridge, but we did have a couple zucchinis.

I thought back to Hayley's feed, and immediately thought of her zucchini yogurt: if she could make yogurt, I could make a sauce! I wasn't sure of the flavor I wanted, but I did have a jar of chicken drippings I had saved from this week's whole roasted chicken so I started with that.

Well, one thing led to another, and I ended up with a very tasty yet simple sauce. I don't mind the green color, but if you wanted a more traditional colored "cream" sauce, simply peel your zucchini beforehand. Just be sure to save the peels to add to your next batch of bone broth to avoid waste.

Zucchini Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup chicken drippings (can also sub bone broth)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups chopped zucchini
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp dried minced onion
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • 6 cups zoodles
Method:
  1. Put the drippings, water, zucchini and garlic into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  2. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes to cook the zucchini. Blend using an immersion blender.
  3. Add seasonings, then the salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer until thickened as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment