Thursday, August 7, 2014

These are offal good! {Giblet Stacks}


The other day, while preparing the hubster's weekly roast chicken, I noticed that there were things inside the chicken. I pulled them all out, then asked my good friend Google what they were. I managed to identify a heart, two kidneys, a liver and a gizzard. Sweet! Organ meats!

I looked for a couple ways of preparing them online, and it seems like people only make gravy with them, or flour and deep fry the gizzards. I didn't want to flour-and-fry them, and I didn't want to make gravy, either. So I didn't.

What I did was tenderize them in pickle juice for about a day, then sauté them with onions. The result was a perfectly sized, nutrient dense snack. I was afraid it would taste too livery, but it really didn't at all. The meat bits were slightly chewy and some of the onions got quite crispy, all of which made for a perfect marriage of textures!



So, if you have the giblets {that's the name given to organ meats sold inside poultry}, give this a go. I'm sure the recipe would work great with larger amounts of just one organ as well, such as Chicken Liver Stacks or Gizzard Stacks.

P.S. - If, like me, you don't know how to prepare a gizzard and yours is whole, check out this amazing video by Hank Shaw for a super simple method to cleaning them bad boys.

P.S. 2 - I have a salt mill that is filled 2/3 with herbes de Provence spices and 1/3 with sel de Guérande, which is what I used to salt/spice my giblets. Feel free to just use whatever spices you have on hand, or even to just go the salt-n-pepper router.

Giblet Stacks

Ingredients:
  • Chicken giblets {heart, kidneys, liver, gizzard...}, finely diced
  • Pickle juice to cover
  • 1/2 an onion, finely diced
  • Fat of choice
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • Optional: green, leafy spices
Method:
  1. Place giblets in a container and cover with pickle juice. Refrigerate up to 24 hours, then drain, discarding the pickle juice.
  2. Heat FOC in a frying pan over medium heat. 
  3. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
  4. Add the giblets and season to taste. Continue cooking until the onions begin to crisp up and the giblets are well cooked.
  5. Serve hot. Great on cucumber slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment