Monday, August 4, 2014

The Hubster Cooks {Summer Sunshine Salad}

I was really craving carpaccio the other day, so the hubster and I swung by our favorite butcher shop to buy some. I planned on eating the carpaccio as a starter and asked the hubster what he wanted for the main course. His reply startled me, to say the least:

"Summer sunshine," he said.

I decided to back away and allow this to become another edition of The Hubster Cooks because I had no friggin idea what summer sunshine tasted like.

I settled onto the couch, listening to the jazz music the hubster had put on, idly chatting about my life while he cooked and half-listened in the kitchen. Then he served the carpaccio.


Oh my. It was easily the best carpaccio I had ever eaten, even if I couldn't have the traditional Parmesan! I think the key was the lemon juice, which I had never tried with carpaccio before.

For those who are wondering, carpaccio is thinly sliced, raw beef. We sprinkled ours with truffle sea salt, drizzled on olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, and ate it with some rocket lettuce. Seriously, it was good.

I then went back to my couch and waited patiently for my serving of summer sunshine. And boy did I ever get it!



Not only did this salad look like a shining sun, but it indeed tasted exactly the way summer should! Warm, crunchy, fresh - perfect!

The hubster added green bell peppers to his salad, so if you're not following AIP and can tolerate nightshades, that would be a delicious addition to this satisfying plate.

Summer Sunshine Salad

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups of iceberg lettuce
  • 2 Belgian endives
  • 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
  • 1 peach, sliced
  • 3 slices of bacon
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Cook bacon and chicken in a pan, chopping into bite-sized pieces when finished.
  2. Meanwhile, wash and chop the lettuce and endives, dividing between two plates. 
  3. Add the fruit and meat to the salads.
  4. Mix together the oil and vinegar, season to taste with salt and pepper. Dress the salads with the vinaigrette and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment