Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Savory Rhubarb Pie {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

Since the hubster and I have started going to crossfit three times a week, and two of those times are during our usual dinner time, I've needed to up the ante a bit with food prep and meal planning - namely, planning a meal I can cook Tuesday afternoon and easily reheat Tuesday and Thursday evenings after our WOD.

An easy meal idea I came up with was Sheppard's Pie, and the hubster was happy with my choice. I am currently going through an AIP reintroduction period though, and I don't want to push things too far with tomatoes, just in case {so far, I can handle them in small doses, but if an actual sauce is too much, I don't want to find out when that's all I have ready to eat}.

I decided to make two separate dishes then, the hubster's dish using white potatoes and tomatoes, and my dish using sweet potatoes... and rhubarb.

I had originally planned on making a "no-mato" sauce of some kind, but then my eyes fell upon my pile of garden fresh rhubarb and I thought back to my yummy side dish - Roasted Rhubarb & Sweet Potatoes. The rhubarb in that dish cooks down into a delicious sauce, coating the sweet potatoes in a tangy layer of goodness. I figured they'd make a nice replacement sauce in my Sheppard's Pie.



I was right.

No, this is not hubster approved. He tasted it without me even asking him to, but he just shook his head and said, "I really don't like rhubarb." I guess that means that if you don't like rhubarb, don't make this dish. But if you are looking for a savory rhubarb dish, and one that is also AIP and Whole30 compliant, then go for it.

I know I'm truly looking forward to Thursday evening, just so I can eat the rest of it!

Savory Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:
  • 300 grams ground beef
  • 2 stems of rhubarb
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 1/4 cup bone broth (can also use water)
  • 2-4 sweet potatoes (about 400 grams)
Method:
  1. Cook sweet potatoes using your favorite method. I poked holes in them and microwaved mine for about 7 minutes. Set them aside to cool.
  2. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and break it up a bit with a spatula.
  3. Meanwhile, slice the rhubarb into thin slices, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add to the meat and stir to combine, breaking up the meat as you go.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally as it cooks.
  5. When the meat is cooked through, add the bone broth, scraping the browned bits up from the bottom. Remove pan from heat and spread the meat mixture in the bottom of an oven-safe dish.
  6. Peel the cooled sweet potatoes and mash them. Season with salt and pepper to taste and spread over the top of the meat mixture, making little peaks on the top with a fork.
  7. Bake at 200°C (400°F) for about 30 minutes, or until the tops of the peaks begin to brown and the meat mixture begins to bubble.
  8. Serve hot. Reheats wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment