Friday, August 1, 2014

Rhubarb Applesauce {no sugar needed}


The hubster's grandfather, Pépé, has an amazing garden, overflowing with beautiful, organic produce. He has a tendency to let things grow a bit out of hand, but usually that only results in extra large zucchini, such as this one which was longer than my arm {and this wasn't even the biggest one!}:


This year though, another veggie reach extraordinary sizes: the rhubarb plant. The stalks were nearly as big around as my wrist {admittedly, I have rather small wrists, but still}, were longer than my forearms, and had leaves I could seriously hide behind!



Mamy, the hubster's grandmother, told me I could have as much as I wanted. She likes rhubarb, but only in pies, and she didn't feel up to eating a whole pie herself. I love rhubarb, especially in pies, but I'm doing another round of Whole30 and therefore can't have dessert. I took the biggest stalks anyway, determined to make something delicious with them.

I decided upon applesauce. 

Here in southern Belgium, applesauce is never served as a snack or dessert like I most often ate it in the States. Most often, you'll find it warmed up and on the dinner plate. Two of the most common dishes would be chicken-applesauce-fries-salad and meatballs-applesauce-fries-salad {Belgians love their fries and aren't too imaginative when it comes to veggies, if you couldn't tell}.

Nowadays, the hubster and I love eating a bowl of cold applesauce at breakfast, but we also like a dollop of it warmed up and spread over pork chops. You can enjoy this yummy side however you wish because it's always delicious!

I combined the natural sweetness of apples with the slight tartness of rhubarb and created a mouthwatering compote. I find it plenty sweet as is, but you could add more apples if you desire a less tart flavor {I used 700 grams apples and 1400 grams rhubarb}. And adding a dash of cinnamon would really knock this out of the park!

One last note - don't throw away those apple peels! I'll have a delicious way to use them up in tomorrows blog post!

Rhubarb Applesauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 parts rhubarb, chopped finely
  • 1 part apples, peeled and chopped
  • Apple juice to cover the bottom of the pot (can also sub water)
Method:
  1. Add all ingredients to a large, thick bottomed pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until thick like applesauce (1-3 hours, depending on amount of fruit). Stir often to avoid burning.
  3. Enjoy hot or cold, as a side, on top of pork, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Scots love their potatoes too: only boiled instead :P

    I'm going to try this recipe out because coincidentally, I've got some cooking apples and rhubard at home and I'm looking for something to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as me!

      Delete