Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Rabbit & Plum Stew {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

Tuesday and Thursday evenings are crossfit evenings for the hubster and I and we don't get home before 9 o'clock. Therefore, I like to cook a meal Tuesday afternoon that will still be yummy when I reheat it Tuesday and Thursday evenings. This is one such meal.



Now, I used to think I didn't like rabbit. The hubster really likes this meat though, so I made the effort of buying and preparing it one day... and I discovered I loved it! Turns out, basic, oven baked rabbit isn't for me. But put that hopper in a sauce and let it simmer? Oh yeah. That's what I like.

The first time I made this recipe, I used prunes, which are dried plums. This resulted in a sweet sauce, which the hubster preferred. This week though, I used fresh plums and the resulting sauce was savory with a delightful fruit taste, which I preferred. Feel free to use whichever sort you have on hand - or the sort that will give you the taste you are looking for.

This also happens to be a traditional Flemish dish, coming from the northern part of Belgium, though I have chose not to include the traditional wine in the sauce.

This recipe makes about enough for two people for two meals. I served it with my Roasted Rhubarb & Sweet Potatoes {roasted potatoes and onions for him} and a green salad.

Rabbit & Plum Stew

Ingredients:

  • 1 rabbit, cut into 6-8 pieces
  • Fat of choice
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup of bone broth
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 8 plums or prunes, pitted
  • 1 tbsp dried thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 3 juniper berries
  • 1 clove
  • Salt and pepper

Method:

  1. Heat fat in your cooking pot and brown the pieces of rabbit on all sides, transferring them to a plate when done.
  2. Meanwhile, cut the onion in half, then thinly slice the halves. Add to the pot once the rabbit is removed, allowing the onion to brown.
  3. Mince and add the garlic, string for about 30 seconds.
  4. Add the bone broth and the plums and bring to a boil. 
  5. Add rabbit pieces and seasonings, then cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment