Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Patty Pan Squash {AIP, Whole30, Paleo}

My sweet cousin Manon recently gifted me a few of her mom's garden-fresh squashes... and one of them was a patty pan squash! It was so cute and scalloped and white and everything! I just knew it needed to be stuffed.



I decided to stuff that cutie with ground beef, spinach and mushrooms. I taste-tested the raw meat, like I always do, to make sure it was spiced enough - and I almost ate it all just like that! It was good!

I put the little guy into my oven... and pulled it out, perfectly browned, and served it to a happy hubster! It's very simple to throw together, yet very impressive to serve to others.

Feel free to customize it as well, swapping your favorite greens for the spinach, such as kale, or your favorite veggie for the mushrooms, such as chopped carrots. And don't forget - you can eat the rind! Don't waste any of that yummy squash!

Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

Ingredients:

  • 1-2 small to medium patty pan squash
  • 500 g ground beef
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 tbsp coarse salt (use less if the salt is finely ground)
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 5 button mushrooms, diced
  • 1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
Method:

  1. Cut off the top of the squash and hollow out the seeds. 
  2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients and stuff inside the squash.
  3. Bake for 45-60 minutes at 180°C {350°F} or until the meat is no longer pink in the center.
  4. Slice and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment