Saturday, August 2, 2014

Don't throw out the peels! {Apple Sticks}


Every time I make applesauce, I eat the apple peels as I peel the apples. I'm pretty sure I have my maternal grandmother to thank for this, as I seem to recall leaning against the counter and catching the peels as she made apple pie. I don't remember the pie, I don't even remember the kitchen, I just remember eating those peels.

I usually make up a huge batch of applesauce at a time though, so I never end up eating all the peels. Most, sadly, end up in the trash with the stems and cores as I live in an apartment and don't have chickens to feed them to or a compost pile to add them to.

As I was making some Rhubarb Applesauce though, it hit me: what if I dried them? Then I could enjoy them over the course of a few days, and nothing would go to waste!

A quick Google search revealed that I wasn't the only one to think of this, but everyone seemed to insist that they needed sugar. I never added sugar to my apple peels {or to my applesauce, for that matter} so I decided to try drying them without the sugar to see how it would taste.

It tasted amazing.

Apple Sticks

Ingredients:
  • Apple peels
  • Cinnamon (optional)
Method:
  1. Spread apple peels out in a single layer on a baking tray. 
  2. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
  3. Bake 2-3 hours at 100°C {210°F} until brittle.
  4. Allow to cool completely, then break in smaller pieces and store in an airtight container.
Note: I need to prop my oven door open slightly when drying foods, you may need to as well if your oven retains all moisture like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment