Friday, August 15, 2014

Crossfit at Home {Simply Sadie Jane}

I had been lifting weights at home for well over a year, and while I liked it, I didn't love it as much as I had in the beginning. It was just becoming too much of the same thing, over and over again. I needed something new.

Now, I'd heard of crossfit many times before, but I hadn't ever really looked into what it was exactly... so I did. 

And I think I may have fell in love.

I looked hard. It changed every day. People loved hating it. There was a huge community around it. I really felt like this was what I needed.

I looked up crossfit boxes in my local area - and only found one: Crossfit Liege. {Though I just found out that box is opening a second one nearby as well - Crossfit Liege Centre.} This was a good sign, as crossfit boxes are extremely rare in southern Belgium! I spoke to the hubster about it... and he was turned off by the price. Once he started looking into it though, he decided to give it a try with me as well. Buuuut, not right away.



I figured I had some time ahead of me before he was "ready" to try it out, so I looked around online for some crossfit routines I could do at home. I was looking for a really complete routine since I was completely new to this. I found Simply Sadie Jane's website - and her 6 Weeks to Fab at-home crossfit inspired workouts. I decided to give it a go - and I loved it!

Here are the links to each of the six weeks as Sadie designed the program:

And now I'll explain the modifications I made to suit my life and capacities. First, I found a general warm-up I could use before each WOD:

Warm Up

One round of:
Two rounds of:

Modifications: I did my push-ups from the knees, except during Week 6 where I attempted real push-ups {and kind of half succeeded each time}. I did my pull-ups under my kitchen table because I have no place to hang a pull-up bar in my current habitation.

{At the end of Week 5, I saw Turkish Get Ups explained by Jen Sinkler and decided to add them to end of my warm up, just because I liked them so much. I just did a couple on each side during Week 6, and only used a 4 kg dumbbell, because that's what I had.}

Here are the mods I made to the workouts:

Week 1

Day 2: 
I didn't have time for the WOD before leaving for work, so I didn't do it.




Week 2

Day 1: 
I only did one round of the WOD as it hurt my knees, as in, real pain. I have bad knees.

Day 6:
I didn't do weighted push-ups, I simply attempted real push-ups.



Week 3:

Day 6:
I subbed dumbbell thrusters for the wall balls, as I don't have a wall, nor a ball.


Week 5

Day 1: 
I subbed dumbbell thrusters for the wall balls, as I don't have a wall, nor a ball.

Day 2:
I did my pull-ups after my burpees, under the table {no pull-up bar}.

Day 6:
I didn't do weighted push-ups, I simply attempted real push-ups.




Week 6

Day 1:
I didn't do the wall sits and only did four rounds of the WOD as it hurt my knees, as in, real pain. I have bad knees {but they are getting better!}.

Day 2:
I only ran a 3.6k {2 miles}. I don't really want to run more than that at this moment, because of my knees, and because I don't really like running longer than that.

Day 4:
I attempted 80 real singles {I'm not a gifted jumper :p}.

Day 5:
I subbed dumbbell thrusters for the wall balls, as I don't have a wall, nor a ball.

Day 6:
I only ran a 3.6k {2 miles}. I don't really want to run more than that at this moment, because of my knees, and because I don't really like running longer than that.


So each morning, I did my warm-up, a strength workout, a WOD, and I always finished with a cool-down. On days I ran, part of my cool down was the walk home {about 7 minutes}. Nearly every day though, I did the same basic stretching routine, holding each pose for 30 seconds, making this a 7 minute cool down.



General Cool Down

Hold/preform each pose for 30 seconds:


I usually worked out Monday through Saturday as soon as I woke up, before eating breakfast, using Sunday as my rest day. Exceptions to this were when I went on vacation {I didn't workout, besides the hiking and walking we did} and when I was sick {I skipped a day}.

I really enjoyed this routine - it was varied enough to keep thing interesting, yet it kept cycling back to the same basic movements, allowing myself to push harder each time and measure my progress as I went.

As for slimming down, I didn't really notice a difference in body composition. Losing weight was not at all a motivator for starting this routine however, therefore I didn't weigh, measure or photograph myself before or after the 6 weeks. I definitely feel stronger though, and feel this routine helped prepare me for my first time in a box.

And there you have it! I hope this helps you to give crossfit a go at home as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment