Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Creamy without the potato-y {Cauliflower Leaf Soup}

I eat cauliflower quite often, usually in the form of cauli "rice", though now I'm going to have to add cauli "cheese" to that as well. 

I always used to throw away the green leaves and tough stem... then I started adding it to my bone broth whenever I happened to have a batch going the same time I was prepping my head of cauliflower.

Then one day, I wondered if I couldn't just eat the leaves and stem.

I ran a quick Google search, just to make sure the leaves were edible, and then got to work on cooking them. I made a soup.



That soup was delicious y'all. It was ultra creamy, just like if I had put potatoes in it. It was full of flavor, a bit of a cross between tasting like cauliflower and cabbage to me. It was also a beautiful pale green color. Everything about this soup was perfect - and it was even preventing waste!

This soup tastes great as is, or with fresh herbs blended in at the end. You can also add other veggies - this creates a decadently creamy soup {cream of broccoli, anyone?}. And don't forget to always find new ways to use up your kitchen scraps - you'll often be nicely surprised!

Cauliflower Leaf Soup

Ingredients:
  • The outer leaves and stem of one head of cauliflower
  • 1-2 onions, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup of bone broth
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Wash and chop the leaves and stem. Put in a large pot and add onions, garlic and bone broth.
  2. Add water to cover the veggies and turn on high. Bring to a boil and reduce slightly.
  3. Allow to boil gently until very tender {20-30 minutes}.
  4. Blend very well using an immersion blender and season to taste.
  5. Serve hot or warm.

2 comments:

  1. Wow didn't know the stem and leaves are edible, I have to try this!! <3
    -moveliveenjoy

    ReplyDelete