Tuesday, August 5, 2014

AIP Whole30 BBQ Sauce {The Paleo Approach Inspiration}


Alright, when Sarah, aka The Paleo Mom, posted a sneak peak recipe from her upcoming cookbook, The Paleo Approach Cookbook, it gave me a hankering for saucy BBQ ribs! You see, the recipe she shared was for an AIP friendly BBQ Sauce - and boy did it look delish!

I read through the ingredients... and my hopes and dreams came crashing down around me. {Okay, maybe it wasn't really as dramatic as all that, but I didn't have some of the ingredients, and some of the others weren't Whole30 compliant, so... it just felt super dramatic at the moment.}


I decided to keep on trucking though, and make something I could eat, all while staying true to both the Autoimmune Protocol and the Whole30 guidelines.

I followed the recipe when I could, and substituted when I had to. The end result blew my mind. It. Was. Good. Like, very good!

{Now, I don't know if it's just the bright yellow hue, or maybe the turmeric, but this tasted a lot like mustard to me when I ate it cold. Not exactly like mustard, but enough that it would certainly fill the mustard void on a sad AIP hotdog, just sayin'.}

So, without further ado, here is the recipe I followed for this delicious tasting, mustard reminding, slightly sweet and just a tad tangy BBQ sauce, which just so happens to be gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, nut free, seed and nightshade free... free of everything! {If you wanna give the real deal a go, check out The Paleo Mom's blog.}

Plus, it's hubster approved. #winning


AIP Whole30 BBQ Sauce
Original recipe: Sarah Ballantyne, BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons red palm oil
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon

Method:

  1. Heat the palm oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes, until caramelized.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
  3. Remove from the heat and purée with an immersion blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment