Friday, July 11, 2014

This Time Needed to be Special {Paleo Buns}

Usually I just eat my burger in a lettuce wrap. Or sometimes I use two patties as buns and sandwich my toppings in between them. And if I'm feeling really lazy, I'm chop it up over a simple salad and eat it with a fork. I don't usually need a bun.

This time needed to be special though. I was going to try a Fuddruckers burger, and to do so, I needed a true burger experience. I needed a bun.

I checked out a few recipes online, but I didn't really find any that spoke to me. I tried my own thing and failed, but the second time around, I nailed it.



I had a bun.

This baby was perfect. The flavor was neutral. The texture was fluffy with a crispy exterior. The burger juices soaked into the bun without making it soggy. It was the perfect complement to my Fuddruckers burger.

It was even nut free, which everyone knows I love. If you also love the idea of a nut free paleo hamburger bun, give this recipe a go.

And just in case you hadn't thought of the obvious, this bun also makes a mean breakfast sandwich...

Paleo Buns

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, softened but not melted
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Optional: sesame seeds to sprinkle on top

Method:
  1. Mix together the ingredients using a fork until the batter is smooth.
  2. Make six rounds on a non-stick baking surface (approximately 2 tbsp of batter per round). 
  3. Flatten slightly to desired size (they won't rise much).
  4. Bake 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
  5. Use immediately or store in an airtight container for a few days.
  6. Reheat in a warm oven 2-5 minutes if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment