Sunday, July 6, 2014

Red, White & Blue {Berry Crumble}


Okay, I realize this is a tad late for the 4th of July this year, but the good news is you don't have to wait for next year, or even be American, to enjoy this tasty dessert. All you need is yummy fresh fruit, and since it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere, I think a few of you will have no problem with finding fresh fruit!

As for those of you who do not have access to fresh fruit, or for the lazy peeps among y'all, don't fret - this works great with jam as well! I'm sure even frozen fruit could be used. Really, this recipe is all about the crumble.

I searched the Internet high and low for a crumble topping that was nut free and didn't use granulated sugar. I did find one or two that fit the bill, but they required eggs and I'm a bit low on eggs so... I took matters into my own hands!

I decided that since this was going to be my 4th of July dessert, I wanted to go with the red-white-blue theme. I put some fresh blueberries in a small dish, some homemade peach jam in another, and some homemade cherry preserves in the last two. 



Then I mixed together my topping.

I could have eaten all the topping raw, but I had used up the last of my coconut flour, so I used immense self-control and simply sprinkled it on top of my fruit pots.

Then I put those suckers in the oven {20 minutes at 180°C/350°F for those ho are wondering}.

Out came perfection in a glass dish. I drizzled a bit of coconut milk on top, grabbed a potholder so I wouldn't burn my hand, and proceeded to burn my tongue as I gobbled one up!

Now this recipe made enough topping to cover four pots containing about 1/4 cup of fruit each time. You can either go the individual serving route as I have, or the big baking dish route - whichever works best for you. Just multiply the topping recipe accordingly {one batch for approximately 1 cup of fruit}.



No go pick some fresh berries or open that jar of jam and get to crumbling! This works perfectly as a quick and easy dessert, and reheats wonderfully for a decadent breakfast! :)


Nut Free Crumble Topping

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 2 tbsp ghee, softened {coconut oil for AIP}
  • 1 tbsp liquid honey
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
Method:
  1. Mix everything together using your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
  2. Makes enough topping for approximately 1 cup of fruit/jam/etc.
  3. Bakes up golden brown at 180°C/350°F for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment