Saturday, July 5, 2014

Really, I'm all about the mushrooms {Eggplant Pizza Sliders}

I've been eating a ton of sauteed mushrooms lately because I'm house sitting for my in-laws and discovered they had a shizz ton of mushrooms in the fridge... the hubster doesn't care much for mushrooms, so I've been chowing down at lunch time to spare him.

And I am loving it!

Today though, as I was eating, it hit me that it didn't actually seem like I was simply eating sauteed mushrooms... no, it seemed like I was eating pizza.

Then I realized: for me, pizza isn't about the crust, it's about the mushrooms.

That, of course, gave me an insatiable craving for pizza. Yes, even though I just got finished saying that it wasn't really the pizza itself I liked. To fulfill this craving, I looked in my in-laws fridge to see what I could come up with.

I discovered a lovely, lonely eggplant, just begging to be sliced and topped with pizza goodies. So that's exactly what I did.


And since this method is so ridiculously simple, I've decided to also share my super easy marinara sauce recipe, just to make today's visit worth your while :P Feel free to substitute your own though, or even a jarred sore-bought version if your little heart so desires {I promise, I won't tell anyone :P}.

Use whatever your favorite toppings are as well. I used chopped bacon, dry cured Italian ham, black olives and sliced mushrooms {of course}.


Eggplant Pizza Sliders

Ingredients:

  • 500 grams tomato sauce
  • 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp minced dried shallot (or onion)
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 2 eggplants
  • Toppings of choice

Method:

  1. Mix together the tomato sauce and the spices in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
  2. Meanwhile, slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. Brush a bashing tray with olive oil and place the slices on the oil.
  3. Top the eggplant with a bit of sauce and desired toppings.
  4. Bake at 180°C {350°F} for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment