Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Product Review {deodorants}

I discovered Avril, an online company based in France selling organic beauty products, a while back and have been using their products ever since. And while I'm still happy with most of the products I'm using and would recommend this company to anyone local enough to order from them, I just had to find a new solution for my BO.

In case you're not familiar with the term "BO", it's simply short for "body odor". I had been using this deodorant from Avril and up until recently, I had been quite happy with the results. I guess I don't sweat that much during the winter months though... and with warmer weather coming on, things are starting to get a bit sweatier. And by sweatier, I also mean smellier.

I really liked the ingredients list though, and didn't want to settle for anything of a lesser quality. I decided to check out my local Di to see what they had to offer.

The cleanest ingredients list I could find was on the bottles of Weleda deodorants. There were three scents and I chose the citrus one. Nearly all the ingredients were essential oils, so I was a bit skeptical... and with reason.

I'm a teacher, so I spend the better part of my days walking around in front of a classroom, talking and waving my arms about. This works up quite the sweat, in case you didn't know. My classroom is also currently in a temporary shipping container - basically, a metal box. When the sun shines down on that, the temperature rises pretty quickly.

I used this deodorant for a couple days before my husband politely informed me that I smelled like sweaty mandarin oranges. Okay, bring on the next one...

I decided to try the only deodorant left at my local Di that had a "clean" ingredients list. Finally! Success! I chose Ushuaïa's roll-on deodorant for sensitive skin. There were only two scents in available at the store, this and vanilla. The vanilla one just smelled too vanilla-y while this one has a light, fresh smell.

It keeps me dry, it keeps me smelling good, and it doesn't irritate my skin {the other two deodorants burned when I applied them after shaving - this one doesn't do that}. I can put this on in the morning, do my thing during the day, go to bed, wake up and work out the next morning - and I still don't smell. It's great!

I couldn't find a website for this brand, but it's available on Amazon and select other websites, so if you can't find it in a store near you, give the 'net a quick search.

Maybe one day I'll make my own "pit paste", but for now I'm just happy to have found a better quality deodorant that actually works.

P.S. None of these companies know I exist. I'm just sharing what works and what doesn't work for me, in the hopes of sparing some of you the trial and error process. Because no one wants to smell like sweaty mandarin oranges.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. I love your last sentence in this post. It made me laugh... and laughing's always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say it adds years to our lives... happy to have helped! ;)

      Delete