Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mistakes Can be a Good Thing {Paleo Sandwich Thins}

So, one day I decided to make a paleo hamburger bun. I read a few recipes, decided on my ingredients, and threw a few things together.

It was a failure.



The resulting "buns" were flat. I wanted a fluffy bun that actually looked like a bun!

Then something dawned on me... these flat things looked an awfully lot like sandwich thins... and sandwich thins were pretty handy during my pre paleo days...



I decided to give them a go - and I'm glad I did! The taste was good and the texture was very reminiscent of sandwich thins! Even better - they are nut free. Booyah.

These would go perfectly with sweet or salty fillings, and can even be used open faced {a slice of toast with breakfast, perhaps?}.



So, if you're missing bread, or are just looking for a quick grab-n-go meal idea, whip these up and enjoy!

These sandwich thins
are soft and foldable!
Paleo Sandwich Thins

Ingredients:

  • 3 tbsp tapioca flour
  • 3 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, softened but not melted
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • Pinch of salt
Method:
  1. Mix together the ingredients using a fork until the batter is smooth.
  2. Make four rounds on a non-stick baking surface (approximately 2 tbsp of batter per round). 
  3. Flatten slightly to desired size (they won't rise much).
  4. Bake 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
  5. Use immediately or store in an airtight container for a few days.
  6. Reheat in a warm oven 2-3 minutes if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment