Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I heart chocolate {chocolate covered oranges}

I used to love eating orangettes in my pre-clean-eater days. The jelly-like orange covered in hardened dark chocolate really hit the spot!

I only ever had store-bought, industrial-style orangettes while living in America. When I moved to Belgium, I discovered what an orangette truly was: candied orange peel covered in dark chocolate. I found it strange to eat orange peels, but I absolutely loved eating the artisan-quality treats found in bakeries and chocolate shops here.

Once I started eating clean, I decided I wanted to make my own. I researched recipes and made a decision: orangettes had entirely too much sugar.

I decided against making my own. Every so often I would indulge in one or two pieces from a quality shop, but that was about as far as my chocolate covered orange love affair went.

Until it hit me: chocolate covered orange!

I quickly peeled an orange and set about whipping up a batch of homemade dark chocolate. Then I started dipping.

The results were beautiful! I wanted to eat them all up right away, but I knew I would be disappointed if the chocolate coating wasn't hard... so I put those suckers in the freezer for a few.

When I couldn't wait any longer, I took them out and gave them a taste. It was like a little bit of heaven in my mouth! The delicious orange filling! The hardened chocolate coating! Everything was there!

Everything, that is, except the massive amounts of sugar.

If you have dark chocolate on hand, it's a two-ingredient recipe. There are many ways to customize them as well, such as sprinkling the chocolate with chopped nuts or coconut before is hardens or using different varieties of oranges or even different citrus fruits.

And I'm almost tempted to say I prefer this fresh-orange version to the candied orange peel one... try for yourself and see which you prefer!

Dark Chocolate Covered Oranges

Ingredients:
Method:
  1. Peel the orange and separate into wedges.
  2. Melt the dark chocolate.
  3. Dip each orange wedge into the chocolate, covering about 2/3 of the slice.
  4. Place on a sheet of wax or parchment paper and allow to cool and harden in the fridge (or freezer if you're impatient).
  5. Store in fridge as the chocolate softens quickly at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment