Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Food Prep {ground meat}

A key part of following a real-food diet is food prep. Always having healthy, good-for you, and tasty food on hand is essential to avoid eating junk food.

Whether it's for a fast breakfast because you're running late, a quick lunch between meetings or a late dinner after a long day you didn't plan for, having ready-to-go food in the fridge will save you time, money and a stomach ache later on!

On of my favorite things to prep is ground meat.

The meat can be beef, lamb, pork, or chicken - or any combination of the four! This already-browned-protein can be added to baked dishes, sprinkled on veggie noodles, served in lettuce cups, stirred into soups... the possibilities are endless!

My favorite way to prep ground meat is super simple, giving it just enough flavor to be eaten as is, but not too much so you can change it up during the week with other sauces and spices.

  • Step 1: Brown about a pound of ground meat (500 grams) in a frying pan over medium heat.
  • Step 2: When meat is cooked through, add 1 tbsp of your favorite spice mix, a bit of sea salt and 1/2 cup of homemade bone broth.
  • Step 3: Increase heat to med-high and simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
  • Step 4: Use immediately or store covered in the fridge for up to one week.

My favorite spice mixes to use are my All-Purpose Spice Mix, my Italian Seasoning, my Gyros Meat spices, and the Cavegirl Rib Rub. Feel free to substitute your favorite mix.

When reheating this, simply add a splash of homemade bone broth or your favorite sauce to add a bit of moisture, then use as desired. And enjoy the ease of using prepped ground meat throughout the week!

Need some ideas? Check out this great post by Nerd Fitness for ways to use ground beef throughout the week!


2 comments:

  1. I make a ground beef dish every week to use as my lunch or a quick dinner for my husband and I on training nights. It's either my Primal Chili con Carne, Primal Lasagna with sliced aubergine and courgettes as 'pasta' or Keto Moussaka. Just slice, reheat and eat!

    ReplyDelete