Sunday, July 13, 2014

Cookies for breakfast {banana pancake cookies}


I'm constantly seeing recipes for cookies that are intended to be eaten at breakfast. And while they all look delicious {and probably are}, they are just too sweet and too full of nuts for me.

I wanted in on cookies-for-breakfast though, so I brainstormed ways of making my own less sweet and less nutty version.

I thought of using a cauliflower base {I might still try this} or going an eggy-cookie-thingy route... but then it hit me: banana pancakes.


This super simple recipe is plastered all over the paleosphere, with each blogger giving their own unique, slightly personalized version.

I decided I would take things a step further... and turn those pancakes into cookies. So I did.

Now these are not very sweet cookies, and, if you omit the chocolate chips, they are even sugar free. If you're looking for something sweeter, add a bit of honey to the batter or a dollop of jam to the top of them once cooked.

These are, however, super yummy and very satisfying. I chose to use coconut as it is low in carbs and is technically a fruit. You may have to add more coconut, depending on the size of your egg and your banana.


I experimented with the shape of the cookies as well. I made macaroon-shaped ones, flattened ones, and very thin ones.

I think my favorite was a tie between the very thin and the macaroon-shaped ones - the thin ones were ever so slightly crunchy and the macaroon ones were almost creamy on the inside! The in between ones were just too in between.

Feel free to play around with the flavors as well. Omit the chocolate and add cinnamon, or stir in some fresh berries and top with a bit of nut butter for a PB&J style breakfast. The possibilities are endless :)


Banana Pancake Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 - 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • *optional: 2 tbsp chocolate chips
Method:
  1. Mash the banana with the egg and vanilla.
  2. Stir in the coconut little by little until the batter sticks together.
  3. Stir in the chocolate chips, if using.
  4. Shape into 9 cookies on a non-stick baking surface. Bake for 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F).

No comments:

Post a Comment