Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Hubster Cooks {coco pork & beef wok}


As most of you know, I'm married to my best friend, who I have lovingly dubbed "hubster". What you may not know is he's Belgian and I'm American. I followed him halfway around the world when I was only 18 years old because I knew he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

We have now been married for 7 years and 2 months. I believe the success of our marriage comes from our complementary personalities. I'm happy, easy going and have my head in the clouds. He's serious, well grounded and very rational. I'm artistic and constantly creating. He's scientific and looks for logic in everything.

I cook. He eats.



Every so often though, he dons an apron and works his magic in the kitchen. And it's always delicious. Those magical meals had become less and less frequent as of late, so when I suggested we start Device Free Fridays, I also suggested that HE cook. I would be there as his sous-chef, but that the meal choice would be his and the grunt of the labor as well.

And just like that, the magic was reborn. I got a day off from cooking, was able to spend time doing something fun with the man I love, and got to eat a meal prepared by someone else for a change!



All of that cooking gave me an idea: I would start a mini-series on my blog and I would call it "The Hubster Cooks". He has a few tried and true recipes that outshine any I've ever made myself {just wait until he shares his truffle and chocolate mousse recipes!} and nearly every Friday now, he invents a new meal that instantly gets added to our collection of go-to recipes!

To kick off this series, I'm sharing last nights' dinner. This is a Hubster Original Recipe and even though this was delicious, he has a couple suggestions to make. He says that although he used powdered ginger and chili, fresh would really take things up a notch {we just didn't have any}. He served his with rice sticks and mine with zoodles, but he things white sticky rice would be perfect as well. And lastly, as with most dishes of this sort that are always better the next day, he suggests making it the day before and reheating it to really allow the flavors to develop.



That being said, go grab the ingredients and get woking right away! :p

Coco Pork & Beef Wok
save this

Ingredients:
  • 250 grams steak
  • 250 grams pork fillet
  • 2 yellow onions
  • 2 bell peppers
  • 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • Fat of choice
Method:
  1. Heat fat of choice in a large wok over high heat.
  2. Slice the onions, steak and pork into strips. Add to wok and stir until meat begins to brown.
  3. Slice and add bell peppers to the wok and finish cooking the meat. 
  4. Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook on high for ten minutes. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for another five to ten minutes or until thickened as desired.
  5. Serve hot with rice noodles or zoodles.

Note: To keep this dish Whole30 compliant, serve with zoodles as rice is a grain and not allowed on Whole30.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE zoodles!! Last time I made some meatballs with vey similar spices but I will definitely try a stir-fry! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete