Monday, June 30, 2014

The cheapest butter in town {Tahini Nut Cookies}

Just drop the batter on the
tray for  puffy cookies.
Tahini is the cheapest nut or seed butter I can buy around here. And I don't have to make a special trip to some faraway organic or whole foods store - I can find it in my local grocery stores as well as in many different ethnic and fair trade stores, which means I can often pick up a jar wherever I choose to go shopping.

It's also pretty dang versatile. I can make both savory and sweet dishes with it (the same goes for most nut and seed butters, by the way). I've even been know to eat it straight from the jar with nothing but a spoon :p

Flatten the dough out before
baking for crispy cookies.
All of that leads me to a pretty obvious usage: cookie making.

And let me tell you, these particular cookies are the bomb.

First off, the batter is to die for. I could easily eat the entire batch raw without ever looking towards the oven. And I could do so with an easy mind as these cookies just so happen to be egg free. These cookies are vegan, actually.

(Vegan and paleo, of course. No gluten or dairy for me at all.)

Secondly, you can make this how you want. Do you prefer puffy cookies? Drop the batter onto the baking surface and pop them into the oven as is. Prefer a crispier cookie? Flatten those suckers out as thin as you'd like and cook away. They taste great either way.

Last, they are filling and satisfying. One or two will give you plenty of protein to keep you going, and they are just rich and sweet enough to kick any craving to the curb. (But if you feel like eating more than one or two, feel free to do so - I won't tell!)

Now, like usual, have fun playing with this recipe by switching out ingredients, adding spices, etc. I'm sure any nut or seed butter (or, gasp!, even peanut butter!) would work just fine.

The same goes for the hazelnut meal - try it with almond or pecan meal if you fancy. A bit of cinnamon would be great, or even a handful of chocolate chips! Personalize these cookies as you see fit using the ingredients you have on hand.

Enjoy!

Tahini Nut Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup hazelnut meal
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Method:
  1. Mix everything together well.
  2. Drop by the spoonful onto a nonstick baking surface (flatten with the back of a spoon for a crispy cookie).
  3. Bake 10 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
  4. Allow to cool 1 minute before removing from baking tray, and a couple minutes more before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment