Tuesday, June 3, 2014

She made me buy some... {Anti-Seasonal Allergies Fat Bombs}

My cousin Manon {@primalmanon} kept going on and on about how delicious pollen granules were. And I believed her because she seemed to sprinkle the stuff on everything she ate! I decided to listen to her and bought a jar.


image source: SCH Guide to Bee Pollen

I was so excited to try it, so I immediately opened the container and grabbed a spoon. The taste was... anticlimactic. I mean, they didn't taste bad, they just didn't really taste like much at all. The texture was interesting though, reminding me a bit of the texture of dried goji berries, so I decided I would try to make something delicious using them. {That, and the jar wasn't cheap so I definitely wasn't going to let it go to waste!}
I'm currently low carbin' it up, so baked goods weren't the best route to go if I planned on keeping up with my keto lifestyle. I decided to try out a new fat bomb then. Not only has Manon started showing the tiniest bit of interest in fat bombs, but I can't get enough of them!

And since the pollen was bought on her account, I also decided I'd make a fat bomb in her honor: an anti-seasonal-allergies-fat-bomb-for-Manon! She personally eats the pollen in an effort to relieve some of her allergic reactions. I ran a quick Google search for other foods that help cure or relieve allergies and soon had an ingredients list to play with.
I ended up using the following, and for these holistic reasons:
  • Bee pollen, because if you ingest tiny bits of pollen mixed with bee saliva, your body becomes accustomed to it and no longer attacks it as if it was a foreign element.
  • Grass-fed ghee, because it's full of vitamin K2, responsible for general health {as well as teeth and bone health!}. 
  • Coconut oil and cream, because coconuts' antimicrobial lipids boost the immune system.
  • Lime, because Vitamin C is a natural anti-histamine.
  • Ginger, because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
  • Local honey, because the bees that produced it took pollen from the plants around you {see pollen above}.
  • Tahini, because it's high in magnesium which is known to help prevent airway spasms in asthma sufferers.
*BONUS REASON FOR MANON* Tahini contains sesamin and sesamolin. These have been shown to lower cholesterol levels.

Even if you don't suffer from seasonal allergies, these little bombs of fat are super tasty and so simple to throw together. They are great to have on hand when you're in need of a quick snack. And while I wouldn't recommend putting them in your coffee like I do with my Chocolate Tahini and Coconini Cinnamon Fat Bombs, I could definitely see this added to a smoothie or melted over a pancake.


Now, if you're like me and trying to stick to a low carb lifestyle, I'd recommend using less honey, leaving it out altogether {like I did, it's plenty tasty as is}, or even replacing it with your fave low-carb sweetener. I've provided the macros for the recipe both with and without honey to make it easy for you. 
However you prepare these, be ready to make another batch soon after - I can guarantee they won't last long!

Ginger Lime Fat Bombs

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 tsp bee pollen granules
  • 50 grams grass-fed ghee
  • 50 grams coconut oil
  • 135 grams coconut cream
  • 15 grams lime juice (half a small)
  • 1/2 tbsp ginger
  • 2 tbsp raw local honey
  • 30 grams Tahini
Method:


  1. Sprinkle the pollen granules in the bottoms of the molds you're going to use.
  2. Melt together the ghee and coconut oil. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Pour into molds and allow to harden in the fridge or freezer.

    Nutritional Information (for the entire batch): 
    • calories: 1,524
    • fat: 148.2 g
    • carbs: 56.6 g (net carbs: 50.4 g)
    • protein: 10 g

    Nutritional Information (for the entire batch, without honey): 
    • calories: 1,396
    • fat: 148.2 g
    • carbs: 22 g (net carbs: 15.8 g)
    • protein: 9.9 g

    For those of you using My Fitness Pal to track your macros, this recipe is already entered in the database. Simply search for "Be Paleo and Thrive - Ginger Lime Fat Bombs" or "Be Paleo and Thrive - Ginger Lime Fat Bombs (No Honey)".



    2 comments:

    1. Omg I just read all of this. You are so cute and amazing and awesome :) I love you!! And I plan on making these babies this weekend! Only without the bee pollen since my reaction... :/ I seriously one live that if I let it go further, I could have definitely had an anaphylactic reaction that can be deadly. Too bad! And I'm sorry I made you buy some :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. In the end, it was a good thing - these guys are delicious and I would never have thought to make them if I didn't try to find a way to use the bee pollen! :p Now I need to find another recipe that integrates these bad boys... ;-)

        Delete