Sunday, June 22, 2014

Nut Free is the Way to Be {Coconut Crepes}

Before going paleo, I tried in vain to recreate my mother-in-laws' perfect crepes. She never measured out any of the ingredients, yet they consistently turned out delicious - perfectly foldable, easy to pick up, light and airy, yet slightly crunchy around the edges.

She had given me her recipe many times, but I consistently failed as it was written like so many family recipes around here: a cup of this, a spoon of that... which wouldn't be so bad, except by "cup" they could mean "a drinking glass, not quite full" or "a coffee cup filled like if you were serving a Senseo coffee"... and by spoon they mean "a soup spoon" but you never know if it's leveled off or slightly rounded or...

Once she even carefully weighed out and noted each ingredient for me. I had measures such as "73 grams of this" - and even with that precision, I failed.


I had come to the conclusion that I would never make delicious crepes. After lots of trial and error, I finally came up with a recipe that worked for me. It wasn't as good as my MIL's, but it was still super yummy and hit the spot whenever a craving came calling.

Then celiac happened.

My good-enough recipe went out the window.

I tried numerous paleo recipes after that, each one failing worse than the last. I eventually gave up, deciding to just live with pancakes and to let the dream of crepes go.

One day though, I decided that enough was enough. I wanted crepes and by golly I was going to have crepes!

I had recently perfected a nut-free pancake recipe, so I decided to go off that base to create my crepe recipe. I noted the changes I would make, and mixed everything together. I heated up my pan... poured in the batter... waited one long minute... and flipped over the most perfect crepe I had ever made.


There were light and airy bubbles everywhere. The surface was a perfect shade of golden brown. The edges crisped and curled perfectly as they should. I plated the crepe and torn off a small piece to test the texture. It. Was. Perfect. I quickly gobbled up the entire crepe plain, reveling in my long-awaited success!

It took going paleo and nut free to finally be able to make my own deliciously perfect crepes.

Now, I had been waiting so long to eat a crepe, I had many cravings that needed to be fulfilled. I decided to go the savory route and spread one with a bit of ghee, topped it with bacon and closed it up. I also decided to go the sweet route, filling one with cinnamon cherry jam and topping it with tahini and filling another with chilled coconut cream and drizzling it with liquid honey.



I honestly couldn't tell which one I liked best after that, so I combined everything into one monster crepe - and if I had cooked more than one slice of bacon, I would have added that into the mix as well!

This recipe makes 5 medium-sized crepes, which I found to be the perfect amount for me. Feel free to double/triple/... the recipe for a larger crowd.

Coconut Crepes

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp tapioca flour
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Fat of choice for frying
Method:

  1. Blend together the egg, milk, flours, oil, vanilla and salt.
  2. Heat FOC in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
  3. Slowly pour about 1/4 a cup of the batter into the pan, twirling the pan slightly to spread everything out evenly. 
  4. Flip when the bottom is lightly browned, about 1 or 2 minutes.
  5. Continue cooking until the second side is lightly browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  6. Plate the crepe and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
  7. Serve hot and filled/drizzled with your favorite toppings.

These crepes aren't delicate and hold up quite well. They would make excellent savory breakfast wraps and could quite possibly even replace tortillas in various recipes. You can fill these with just about anything, pick them up, and enjoy!

For those doing a Whole30, omit the vanilla and only use these in savory preparations {or do whatever you want because you're an adult and can make your own decisions :p}.

No comments:

Post a Comment