Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I like it raw {steak tartare}

I first tried steak tartare when I moved to Belgium. My brother-in-law was spreading some weird looking, orange goop on pieces of baguette and I was in mode try-everything-new. I asked him what it was, and, instead of replying, he simply handed me a piece of crusty bread topped with the spread. I bit into it - and loved it!

The hubster, who was watching this exchange, proudly cried out, "you just ate raw meat!" To his dismay, that didn't bother me and I asked for more. When my brother-in-law and I had finished eating every last bit, I asked what it was again. He explained to me that it as seasoned, raw, ground beef and that we called it "filet américain". 

He also found it very amusing that an American was enjoying the dish and even jokingly called me a cannibal :p

I've since learned that a real dish of raw, seasoned, ground beef beats the store-prepared chemical shit-store that I first tasted, and have ordered it many times at various restaurants.

Since going paleo though, most due to severe food allergies, I'm very hesitant to order the dish for fear of the spices or sauces they may add to the meat. Most people don't realize that gluten is lurking in nearly everything!

I wasn't about to give up on the dish though. I would just have to make it myself. And man oh man is it easy to make at home! 


I'm not sharing a recipe with you today, rather, I'm just sharing a method and ideas. Take this recipe and run with it, the options are limitless! 

Steak Tartare

Directions: 
  1. Plop a bunch of freshly ground 100% beef onto a plate. I usually go for about 200 grams, though I could eat much more :p
  2. Make a well in the meat and crack in an egg yolk. 
  3. Now comes the fun part! Add in chopped yummies {capers, pickles, pearl onions, peppers...} and drizzle on scrummy sauces {mayo, mustard, harissa, fish sauce...}. 
  4. Season to taste with freshly cracked sea salt and black pepper.
  5. Serve with a green salad {all sorts of fries go great with this}.
This is also delicious as a snack. I like to eat this simply by the spoonful, but it's also delicious served on sliced veggies such as kohlrabi or cucumber.


Oh, and one more thing - I eat this all the time and I've never got sick. If you get sick, don't blame it on me. Use your best judgement when choosing your beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment