Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Food is Love {Bacon Shrimp Salad}

I don't have many friends, but the ones I do have are true ones. And while my friends always try their best to feed me food that won't kill me, there is only one who nearly kills herself with her attempts to nourish me: Sarah.

Now, not only is this girl one of the most generous and warmhearted people I have ever met, but she's also one of the best cooks! Her meals are never very complicated, but the simple flavors of the few ingredients come together so perfectly that no ones leaves her dining table unsatisfied.



The last time I ate at her house was no exception. She took inspiration from a past vacation to Portugal where she had eaten shrimp sandwiches. Crunchy baguette was bought for the her and our men, and crisp salad was prepped for me.

She was so worried that I wouldn't like it, or that I wouldn't have enough - but she had no reason to fret! The salad was one of the best I'd ever eaten, and I was stuffed when I left her table!

The salad was so good in fact that I couldn't wait to recreate it at home!



And without further ado, I present to you Sarah's Bacon Shrimp Salad. While this salad was served to me warm, it's also delicious cold and is the perfect meal to make colleagues jealous ;)

Below are the amounts for one salad - multiply as necessary to meet your needs.

Sarah's Bacon Shrimp Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 slice of thick-cut bacon
  • 10 shrimp
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 small tomato
  • 1/4 a head of iceberg lettuce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • Fat of choice for cooking
Method:
  1. Slice the onion and saute in FOC over medium-low heat until softened and browned.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. When cooked, chop into pieces and set aside.
  3. While the bacon and onion are cooking, chop the lettuce and tomato and dress on a plate.
  4. In the bacon grease, cook the shrimp over medium-high heat, flipping them over and adding the garlic after two minutes.
  5. Add the onions and bacon to the salad, then top with the shrimp.
  6. Mix together the olive oil and vinegar, seasoning to taste. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment