Sunday, June 1, 2014

Bunless Burgers are Messy {deconstructed burger salad}

Pre-paleo, the hubster and I ate burgers at least once a month. Actually, we still eat burgers at least once a month. Some things have changed a bit {such as no cheese or fries for me} while others have remained the same {the deliciousness of a homemade burger cannot be beaten}.

There is one thing that has changed tremendously though.

Bunless burgers are messy to eat.


As seen on Instagram: A Zurger on a mushroom bun -
gorgeous to look at... damn near impossible to eat!

No matter the method, I get sauce and juices everywhere. I've tried paleo buns, mushroom caps, lettuce wraps... I've even sandwiched all my goodies between two meat patties! I've tried putting the sauce on the burger and I've tried dipping the burger in the sauce. There is just no way around it - I always end up with drippings running down my forearms, hanging off my elbows.

Sometimes this doesn't bother me. Sometimes I really want the experience of picking up my burger and eating it. There's just something extremely pleasing to me about eating with my hands.

Sometimes though, this bothers me. Sometimes I'd like to stay clean and sometimes I just want the deliciousness of a burger, but I don't necessarily crave the manual experience.

That's where this little gem of a meal comes in.



I simply took all the best parts of a traditional burger, broke it down into bite-sized pieces, and mixed it all together into a scrumptious salad that boasts all the same umami flavor while nixing any of the messier aspects a regular hamburger usually provides.

This meal is also perfect for those times when you need a quick, throw-together type meal {you do have prepped ground meat in your fridge, right?}. I've even eaten this salad cold when I was really pressed for time {read: starving and hangry} and it was still delish!

As always, feel free to make this recipe your own. Use whatever ground meat you have on hand - all beef, a mix of pork and beef, even ground chicken would be great. Add your own favorite burger toppings such as chopped tomatoes, grilled onions or even shredded cheddar cheese if your gut likes that sort of thing.


Deconstructed Burger Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1 slice of thick cut bacon
  • 100 grams of ground meat
  • 2 cups shredded lettuce
  • 1/4 an avocado, sliced
  • 1 tbsp homemade mayo
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
Method:
  1. Chop the bacon into small pieces, then fry in a small frying pan until crispy. Remove and set aside.
  2. Heat up {or cook} the ground meat in the bacon grease.
  3. On a plate, dress the lettuce, meat, avocado, bacon, mayo and mustard. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment