Saturday, May 31, 2014

Summertime and the livin's easy... {iced goodness to go}

If you know me, you know I love coffee. It's genetic. My whole family drinks the stuff like they should drink water. I'm actually the one who drinks the least amount of coffee because I usually stop drinking before lunch and continue with water until bedtime, but trust me, I get my dose in before noon each and every day!


I start each morning off with a Bulletproof Coffee. Then, when I get to work, I brew a generous half pot of coffee and drink it throughout the morning. This has worked perfectly for me, except now the weather is warming up and hot coffee just isn't quite so appealing to sip on all morning long.

I therefore decided to start bringing ice coffee to work with me, and sip on that throughout the morning hours. And the genius part of it all? I also make coffee ice cubes to chill it, thereby ensuring pure coffee goodness right down to the very last sip!

This worked perfectly for me about about two weeks, then I decided to take a real food approach to healing my gut from what I believe to be SIBO {Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth}, and have therefore decided to limit my daily coffee intake.

I still start my day off with a delicious Bulletproof Coffee, but now I bring along an iced black tea for my morning sipping pleasures!

First, I brew some tea. To do this, I simply place two tea bags in a large jar, fill it with water, and place it in the fridge. I always allow my tea to brew at least overnight, but longer is better. You can also adjust the number of tea bags to suit your tastes.


When the tea has brewed, I fill up an ice cube tray with it and place in the freezer. Then I make more tea :)


Each morning, I empty my ice cube tray of tea cubes into my to-go cup.


Then, I fill the cup up the rest of the way with cold tea from my tea jar. Any tea left in the tea jar is used to fill up my ice cube tray. The ice cube tray goes back into the freezer. The used tea bags are replaced with fresh ones and I fill the jar back up with water, placing it once again in the freezer.

To do this with coffee, I follow the same steps, but I use one of my coffee concentrate recipes, regular or cacao flavored.

And, when I drink this, I make sure to use a drink coaster as my to-go cup "sweats" a lot! Condensation can ruin a tabletop pretty easily - but at least I have these amazingly absorbent cloth coasters lovingly made for me by my Aunt D :)


Feel free to play around with this technique, such as using fruit flavored infusions or differently flavored ice cubes. If you like milk in your coffee or tea, try freezing homemade coconut milk in ice cube trays and adding that to your drink. The possibilities really are endless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment