Saturday, May 24, 2014

Low carb means I get to eat fat bombs {chocolate tahini fat bombs}


I function best on a low-carb, high-fat diet. I feel and preform better. My skin looks better. My food choices are better. I sleep better. My relationships are better. On and on and on... everything is better!

And while I know and understand that my body absolutely hates sugar in all its forms, I still have the urge every so often for something sweet. That's where fat bombs come into play.

Now, some of you may be asking yourselves just what exactly a fat bomb is... and the answer is: a bomb of fat.

Basically, you make a base of healthy fat sweet tasting and enjoy a small piece every time you need a bit of energy or a sweet fix. There are many recipes out there, but I took direct inspiration from this recipe by Natalie.


These little bombs of fatty goodness are perfect for a low-carb or a keto diet, and the high fat content should leave you feeling satisfied instead of craving more. {Note - a low-carb, low-fat diet WILL NOT WORK. You need calories, i.e. energy, to make it through your day. Fat bombs could be an easy way for some to assure a high enough level of healthy fats in their daily diet.} You can choose how sweet you want these as well. I used liquid stevia in this recipe, but honey or maple syrup would work just as well.

So far fat bombs seem to be working well for me - I pull a couple outta the fridge when my sweet tooth starts bellowing, and slowly allow small bites to melt in my mouth. It's a heavenly experience :)


Chocolate Tahini Fat Bombs

Ingredients:
  • 200 grams melted coconut oil
  • 50 grams tahini paste
  • 10 grams cacao powder
  • A splash of homemade vanilla extract
  • *optional: fave sweetener to taste
Method:
  1. Melt everything together and mix thoroughly.
  2. Pour into silicon molds and allow to harden in the fridge or freezer.
  3. Store in the fridge or freezer indefinitely.

Nutritional Information (for the entire batch, no sweetener): 
  • calories: 1,988
  • fat: 224 g
  • carbs: 14 g (net carbs: 7 g)
  • protein: 9 g
For those of you using My Fitness Pal to track your macros, this recipe is already entered in the database. Simply search for "Be Paleo and Thrive - Chocolate Tahini Fat Bombs".



3 comments:

  1. How many carbs a day do you usually eat? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently "very low carb" which means less than 25 net carbs per day. Most of the time though, when I'm not counting/tracking, I'd say I stay under 50 net carbs per day ("low carb"). Net carbs are calculated by subtracting fiber from carbs.

      If you are currently on a high carb diet (more than 150 grams), even dipping into the moderate zone (less than 150 grams) could greatly help with weight loss, mood swings, hanger...

      Delete
  2. You given some valuable tips in your article. I'm very much impressed with your post.

    kimera

    ReplyDelete