Thursday, May 15, 2014

Incredible, Edible, Egg! {let's get cracking}

Does anyone remember that commercial? As I child, I grew up thinking eggs were some amazing superfood, full of amazing good stuff and that eating eggs for breakfast would help me grow up and be amazing. And I'm only 25 years old, so it really wasn't that long ago! What happened? Why did eggs get such a bad rep?




I personally don't listen to all the anti-egg information and eat a lot of eggs. We're talking about 3-6 eggs per day lot of eggs. Now, while I was confident this is doing me no harm, I figured I had better check things out just a bit anyway, just see what the pro-egg information was saying.

All the studies I found {like this one and this one} tested maximum three eggs per day. The conclusions were positive: no negative effect on the participants' health was noted. This reassured me for my usual breakfast of three eggs.

But what about cholesterol? Well, this study showed an increase in HDL {the healthy cholesterol} levels after eating three eggs per day! Eggs for the win! Yes, I do realize that one study does not make a rock solid case, but it is enough to start raising some questions.

On an anecdotal note, this man ate two dozen eggs every single day and had very normal levels of cholesterol. I recently got my blood tested and all my levels {of everything} were normal. My cousin @primalmanon had her blood retested {she has a history of high cholesterol} and her cholesterol levels had lowered - and she eats more eggs than before adopting a paleo lifestyle.

One thing worth noting is that nearly every study I read paired eating multiple eggs per day with a reduced-carb diet {about 25% of total daily calories}. This could or could not have an effect on egg consumption - I eat a lot of eggs and generally keep my carbs pretty low. My cousin on the other hand, eats a moderate amount of eggs {though, in her words, "definitely more" than before} and keeps her carbs fairly high. I'd suggest experimenting to find what works for you, both by monitoring your reaction to eggs as well as getting your blood checked regularly so as to track your numbers.

And don't forget - eggs are good for you! They are a powerhouse of nutrients, especially the yolks! Many vitamins are found in eggs, such as vitamins A, D, B6 & B12, K... and you'll also find minerals like copper, iron and zinc. Not to mention, the yolks are a great source of - you guessed it! - cholesterol! They offer a complete protein as well, with all eight essential amino acids {fyi, essential, when it comes to food, means we can't produce it ourselves, we must ingest it}.

So, to end this post, I will leave you with one of the most amazing breakfasts I've had in awhile. I woke up this morning, had a craving, threw it together, and loved the resulting mix of flavors, temperatures and textures. And I think you will, too :)


Incredible Breakfast Wrap

Ingredients:
  • 2 slices of bacon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 hard boiled egg
  • 1/2 tbsp homemade mayo
  • 2 tbsp guacamole (or sub plain avocado)
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Method:
  1. Pan fry the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside.
  2. Whisk together the two eggs and the water, season to taste. Pour into the pan {into the bacon grease} and cook until set.
  3. Meanwhile, peel the hard boiled egg and mash with the mayo. Season to taste.
  4. When cooked, plate the omelet, place the bacon down the middle, top with the egg salad, and finally add the guacamole. Season to taste, close and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment