Friday, May 30, 2014

I want my baby back, baby back... {ribs}


I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs...


Who hasn't seen this? I believe there's a legitimate TV commercial using this jingle as well, for Chili's Baby Back Ribs, but this movie clip is much funnier.

Anywho, moving along now...

I wanted ribs. If you follow me, you know by now that I don't like sweet meats, and most rib recipes require dousing the ribs in a sickly-sweet BBQ sauce, or rubbing it down with an equally dessert-like spice mix. Ugh. Neither are for me. I love saucy ribs, and I love dry-rubbed ribs, but neither can be sweet.

Now, I recently invented a rather savory and very tangy sauce, lovingly dubbed Meg's 27 Sauce, and I thought about using that. But then I remembered the effects this delicious sauce has on my digestive tract. You see, I just can't handle sugar at all for the moment {I possibly suffer from SIBO, read here for more info}.


I was all ready to start a Google search to see what the world of paleo ribs had to offer when the image above popped up in my IG feed.

It was like Michelle had read my mind. I quickly clicked over to the Cavegirl Cuisine website and read through the recipe. It. Was. Perfect.


I threw all the ingredients together {leaving out the sugar} and pulsed it all in my food processor. Then I lined a glass baking dish with bacon to add extra smoked flavor and added a bit of bone broth to cover the bottom to ensure perfect juiciness. I cut my ribs in half, rubbed them down on all sides with the Cavegirl Rib Rub, and placed them on the bacon. I then covered the dish with aluminum foil and placed it in the fridge to marinate.


A few hours before eating, I pulled the dish out of the fridge to allow it to reach room temperature, then baked it low'n'slow style... yielding the most flavorful, fall-off-the-bone ribs I had eaten in a very, very long time!


I can't wait to test this recipe out on the hubster to see what he has to say about it - he's a die-hard sweet BBQ sauce rib fan! I took advantage of his absence this week to try out my kind of ribs - maybe this recipe will be enough to convert him though...

Perfect Dry-Rub Ribs

Ingredients:
  • 1 batch of Cavegirl Rib Rub (or your favorite dry-rub mix)
  • 1 rack of bone-in ribs
  • 2 slices of thick-cut smoked bacon
  • 1/2 cup of bone broth (more or less, depending on the size of your dish)
Method:
  1. Place the bacon in the bottom of a glass baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with bone broth (do not cover the bacon).
  2. Cut your ribs to fit your dish, then season generously with your dry-rub.
  3. Place your ribs on top of the bacon, cover with aluminum foil and allow to marinate several hours in the fridge.
  4. Take the dish out of the fridge about 3 hours before you intend to eat, allowing it to come to room temperature (about 1/2 an hour).
  5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F). Cook the ribs for about 2 hours. Remove the aluminum foil and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
  6. Serve drizzled with the sauce from the bottom of the baking dish.

Nutritional Information (for the entire batch of dry rub, no sugar): 
  • calories: 59
  • fat: 2.4 g
  • carbs: 10 g (net carbs: 6.2 g)
  • protein: 2.3 g
For those of you using My Fitness Pal to track your macros, this recipe is already entered in the database. Simply search for "Cavegirl Cuisine - Cavegirl Rib Rub".

No comments:

Post a Comment