Monday, May 5, 2014

I guess I'm not a hipster after all {oil pulling}

It may not be the popular thing to say, but I'm going to say it anyway: I'm not convinced by oil pulling.

I had heard about oil pulling before, but I never really gave it much thought - until my Aunt Tracy started doing it, that is. She loved it, so I started getting curious.

One evening I was reading my emails and started getting hungry. I asked the hubster if he was ready to eat. He said no, but I knew I'd start mindlessly snacking if I didn't have a real meal. Or, if I didn't fill my mouth with oil.

So, like that, I grabbed a teaspoon of solid coconut oil, placed it in my mouth, and waited for it to melt. I started a timer for 20 minutes and went back to my emails. My husband said I was crazy to swish oil - and even crazier to do it for 20 minutes, but he's used to me doing crazy things (he has nicknamed me "Miss Ridic") and soon left me alone with my oil.

Let me tell you, 20 minutes is long, but once you get into a sort of pulling rhythm, it actually does go by quickly. Not swallowing is the hardest part.

Also, my lips were insanely moisturize by the time it was all done, thanks to the little bit of oil that oozed out during the process. That was a nice side affect :P

But what about the rest of me? Like, my mouth and teeth, for example?

Well, my teeth did feel really smooth after the first time, but since using baking soda as my toothpaste, they usually do feel that smooth... And I did have a slight headache before starting that I didn't have upon finishing, so that was pretty cool... And while I was pulling, I could feel little particles of stuff moving around in my mouth, so I could tell it was getting into my nooks and crannies...

But I wasn't sold just yet and decided I would keep it up for a couple days to see if anything amazing happened to make it worth doing.

I kept it up for a week. And I have to admit - it wasn't spectacular. Maybe I just don't have the specific problems oil pulling is reputed for "curing". Maybe I'm a freak exception. Or maybe oil pulling is a bit overrated.

I did notice that after two or three days, I didn't have any granules swishing around in my mouth anymore, so I can attest to the fact that it gets in between the teeth where brushing and flossing miss, but that's about the only benefit I had.

Will I continue regular oil pulling? No. But I will probably do it every so often, just to get the "granules" loose and outta there.

But don't let my experience put you off oil pulling - from what I've read online, everyone loves it (except me). Give it a try for yourself to see what you can pull from it :p


No comments:

Post a Comment